Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 2nd, 2014 12:00

Drive not approved for array

We have a PS5000e that went out of warranty a couple of years ago, and I've set it up to host scratch volumes for our terminal servers. One of the drives failed, so we replaced with the same Hitachi model taht we bought from another vendor because it was no longer available from Dell. Now we're getting the "One or more drives in array are not approved" message.

We should be able to return the drive if we have to, and I guess I would need to contact Dell to find out what kind of replacement drive we can order. The drive appears to be healthy, but it's a hot spare. Can I expect it to work properly, or am I out of luck here?

January 9th, 2017 13:00

We have this same issue, we have many PS6510, PS6000, PS6010, I have purchased the same model drive and will swap the disk drive's motherboard to attempt at using a new disk hardware with the dell's motherboard. I'll try to reply back next week after we get this completed. We enjoy the Equallogic line, And I do recall equallogic sales quoting that they don't leave their hardware behind. I'd imagine many government offices will try and make their EQL gear work for many, many years past the expiration date.

6 Posts

February 8th, 2017 06:00

So?

Did you get through ? I have the same issue.

Dell gave me a reference to buy by a marchand the corresponding drive for a PS6100, and we have same issue "disk not approved".

6 Posts

February 8th, 2017 07:00

I tried it and didn't work for me. same error "not approved"

172 Posts

February 8th, 2017 08:00

We kept one of our out of warranty EQs for several years and had no trouble finding compatible drives with the approved Dell firmware on ebay. Just make sure they are explicitly marked as coming from an EQ.

Like Donald said, if it isn't Dell approved, forget it.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 7th, 2017 12:00

Hello, 

Changing out the PCB will not resolve it.  It's a custom process that MFR uses, there's no way to retrofit an OEM drive to work. 

Regards,

Don

2 Posts

October 7th, 2017 12:00

Where are the Dell image written or stored? Will it help if the PCB of the bad drive gets unmounted/unscrewed and move it to the brand new exact drive model?

Seems like a logical thing to do! 

11 Posts

May 2nd, 2018 10:00

Faced the same issue today.  Thanks DELL for the "nice" feature. Worked with NetApp years had no problem with that. The controller set with 2 spares. Is there a way to reduce amount of spare to get rid of the amber light? The controller is not super critical. 

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 2nd, 2018 13:00

Hello,

The number of spares is set by the RAID type.  RAID10 and RAID50 get two spares, R5 and R6 get one spare.  There's no way to change a two spare configuration to one spare w/o changing the RAID type.

Regards,

Don

May 5th, 2018 14:00

I found interesting results when I searched google for:
"Flash Dell Firmware into Seagate Generic Drives"  
I'm not sure if it will help as we have lots of spare drives & haven't tried it.

No Events found!