Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

2 Posts

June 4th, 2018 02:00

Drive replacement causing more drive failures

Hi, 

I have a PS6510 which was showing a couple of drives amber with "history of failures". Mid last week, I replaced one of the drives and found out the next day that replaced drive was happy but another drive now appeared to have failed. On Friday, I replaced the failed drive and left the system alone. I checked the system again today and found out that replaced drive was fine again but another drive has failed. 

I now have a failed drive and still one drive with "history of failures" message. I am just wondering if I am doing anything stupid or if this is normal. 

I have one more spare drive that can replace the failed drive but I fear that may trigger another drive failure. I can get more replacement but just like to understand what is going on. 

Any help on this will be greatly received. Thanks! 

1 Rookie

• 

1.5K Posts

June 4th, 2018 11:00

Hello,

It's unlikely you are doing anything wrong.  I'm guessing you are out of warranty on this array?   So the array and drive firmware are likely not up to date?  

From your description it sounds more like you have aging drives that as you install spares are being replaced by the array firmware.   There maybe several that are pending replacement but have not technically failed yet.

If you want confirmation of that you can open a one-time support case.  They can review the diags and let you know what's going on and what are the best next steps.

Otherwise I would suggest keep replacing drives and making sure you always have a spare available.

What RAID level are you currently running?   Hopefully not RAID5?

Regards,

Don

2 Posts

June 4th, 2018 23:00

Hi Don,

Many thanks for a prompt response.

The array isn't out of warranty so I have logged a support case with Dell, awaiting a response (logged the case yesterday).

I have checked again today and it appeared no new drive has failed after I replaced the failed drive yesterday. I only have one drive complaining about "history of failures". I'll request some spare drives again today and get this replaced too.

We have configured the array with RAID 1 so not RAID 5 :-)

Is there anything I need to be concerned of?

Regards,

Sheraz.

1 Rookie

• 

1.5K Posts

June 6th, 2018 07:00

Hello,

Do you mean RAID10 not RAID1? 

Once a drive has been marked history of failures it must be replaced.

Once they review the diagnostics from the array they will have a clear picture of what's going on.

Regards,

Don

No Events found!