Highlighted
Bulki
1 Copper

EqualLogic PS4100X Extend Volume

Hello,
I have a EqualLogic PS4100X (24 Disk) SAN running VMWare ESXi Version 5.0. I am a newbie on SAN technology having recently taken over from a previous rapidly departed. I would like to extend the size of one of the volume that the VMs are running on and believe I can do this via EqualLogic's web interface. Here I already found the tab "Modify volume settings". There I can set the Volume size higher. Is it possible to power off the VMs? I would like to do a Snapshot before I extend the volume. At the Moment there is no Snapshot reserve set. How much % should this be? I thought that 10% are enough. Is it correct?

Kind Regards

Dennis

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

RE: EqualLogic PS4100X Extend Volume

First ensure you are at EQL FW v6.0.8 H2 or greater

If the volumes are replicated, you should pause any replication until the resize is complete.

Whenever doing a resize it is recommended to always create a snapshot first.  You can use the EQL Group Manger GUI to create your snapshot.  Have at least 10% snapshot reserve for the snapshot.  (Optional, If you are using VSM to create a snapshot this can be used instead of the GUI, as it creates an EQL snapshot that has better consistency).

When you do the resize operation it is preferred to do it when the IO is low (less activity).

First you will need to manually resize a volume via the EQL GUI, then you must do a rescan of the iSCSI adapter(s) on the ESX host(s), otherwise ESX won't see the new space.

Once the new space is seen by the ESX host(s), you can use the extend file system option.   If you are in a cluster, you might have to rescan all the nodes so they pick up the new space as well.

-joe

-Joe

Social Media and Community Professional
#IWork4Dell
Get Support on Twitter - @dellcarespro

Follow me on Twitter: @joesatdell 

0 Kudos

RE: EqualLogic PS4100X Extend Volume

There is another way to acommplish this.  If you install VMware Storage Manager,  (VSM), you can do the resize via that VSM GUI.  It will resize both the EQL volume and extend the filesystem.

However,  depending on how much larger you plan on going and why, it is often better to create a NEW volume vs. resizing an old one.

Better performance can be attained using more, smaller volumes, that just a few HUGE ones.   Especially if you are adding more VMs to a Datastore.

You can also create a new Datastore in the VSM GUI as well.

VSM is located on the EQL support site, under Downloads->Vmware Integration.   http://eqlsupport.dell.com

Regards,

Social Media and Community Professional
#IWork4Dell
Get Support on Twitter - @dellcarespro