Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

O

February 19th, 2018 17:00

EqualLogic Virtual Storage Manager+Unable to launch

Hi everyone, I'm facing the following case

I got EqualLogic Virtual Storage Manager to handle EqualLogic ps6000, running over vmware 5.5   I'm getting the following errors triying yo open PS Group Manager to do administration stuffs on the data stores:

the VM that is running PS Group Manager has network conectiviy with equalLogic appliance by storage network:

I already try the steps in this link:

http://www.dell.com/support/article/mx/es/mxbsdt1/sln302922/equallogic-how-to-launch-the-dell-ps-series-group-manager-gui-application-using-a-browser-without-java-plug-in-support?lang=en

But I'm not able to launch the PS Group manager, please someone can point me in the right address to solve this issue?

Thanks god bleess

Group1.jpgGroup2.jpg

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 19th, 2018 22:00

Hello,

Does your PS array have a dedicated Management port configured?   If so, then that's the IP address you would need to use.  Not the iSCSI Discovery address.

http://MANAGEMENT_IP/welcome.html  will get you the screen where you can run the Java Applet as an application.

I'm curious to know what Datastore Maintenance you are planning to do at the EQL GUI?

Regards,

Don

February 20th, 2018 13:00

Hi dear Donald, thank you so much for answering.

My PS does not have any port configured, insted of I use IP address to get access.

When I try to open:

http://MANAGEMENT_IP/welcome.html 

PS1.jpg

and then just triying with the IP address I got the following message:

PS2.jpg

But run the Java Applet as an application option  is not showing up, I used ie, firefox, chrome, getting the same thing.

My storage space is running out and I must to do an increase of it. is there another option to do that?

Kind Regards.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 20th, 2018 15:00

Hello,

The screenshots of the errors are not showing up, so I can't help you there.  What version of ESXi and what version of EQL firmware? 

Let's back up a minute.  When you say "running out of space".   Are you referring to warnings on the array about in-use space exceeding a warning threshold?

Do not go by what the array GUI shows for in-use space.  Always use the VMware GUI.  Do you have plenty of free space in your Datastores?

The array like all block storage only records the writes given it.  Some newer OS's support a command UNMAP that will tell the storage to return to free space the specified blocks.  VMFS V5+ supports that via a manual utility on the ESXi server. 'esxcli'   As long as the volume is not using EQL replication, and the firmware is 6.0+ that utility will bring the in-use space gauge on the volume 'closer' to what the VMware OS reports.  But over time it will again go out of sync. 

The VMFS knows what blocks are free, and which can be reused.  So even if EQL reports 100% full, that does not impact VMware (or any OS) in the slightest.

If you are using thin provisioned volumes, the default warning is 60%.  You can adjust that to 100% to disable the alarm.

You can do this at the CLI.

GrpName> vol sel VOLUMENAME thin-growth-warn ?
     - Percentage of volume size.
GrpName> vol sel VOLUMENAME thin-growth-warn 100%

Any command at the GUI can be done at the CLI by the way.

There's a CLI reference guide located with the firmware downloads.

Regards,

Don

February 20th, 2018 16:00

this is the data:

ESXi 5.5 version

EQL 3.5.3.10 version

I got 8 datastores 1 Tb each one, two of them there is something like a 400 Gb of free space to assing it to datastore, I don't why the former administrator did it in that way, that's the reason why  I'm triying to open PS group.

February 20th, 2018 16:00

PS3.jpgPS2.jpgPS1.jpg

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 20th, 2018 17:00

Hello,

Thank you for the info.

Just so we are absolutely clear.  The 400GB free space shows up in the Datastore Storage view?

That version of VSM is very old.  You need to be using VSM v4.7.  That works much better and within VSM you can increase the size of a Datastore.  It will expand the EQL volume, rescan the adapters to see the new space and extend the filesystem for you. 

You should also verify that the ESXi servers are configured in line with the EQL best practices. 

There is a Tech Report, TR1091 that covers how to do that.

http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/extras/m/white_papers/20434601/download

You can also open a support case, and they can assist you with this and check health of the array.

What firmware is the EQL array running?

Regards,

Don

No Events found!