Highlighted
hutcha4113
2 Iron

Equallogic PS 5000 and Hyper V - Setup

Looking for some setup suggestions with Hyper V.  In particular I am not sure if I store the VVM Servers\VHD's on the iSCSI SAN or not. 

We have a new R710 Dell Server with 4 * 146GB SAS Drives.  It will be running Server 2008 R2 DataCenter, and has 8 NIC ports.  I was thinking of the following (but am not 100% sure if this is the correct setup).

1)Hyper V installed.  1 NIC port dedicated to Management. 

2)2 NIC ports dedicated to iSCSI SAN Connections.  (Dell MPIO installed).

3)Virtual Servers stored on the local Hard Drive (Physical Server running HyperV).

4)VHD's stored on the SAN.

Is that setup correct?  Any thoughts on the above. 

NOTE:  At some point I hope to have a second server which would also be connected into the SAN.  Then I would setup Clustering for HA.  If that is the case, then I am thinking both Server's\VHD's would need to be installed on the SAN.

Sorry if the above is confusing...still trying to get my head wrapped around it.

0 Kudos
4 Replies

Re: Equallogic PS 5000 and Hyper V - Setup

There's a document for this on the resource center.

http://www.equallogic.com/resourcecenter/assetview.aspx?id=7787

If you're planning on moving to a cluster, probably best to set everything up on the SAN from the get go.

Also you will need to be running array firmware 4.3.7 or 5.0.2.

You will also need MS KB 978562 which corrects a problem with the cluster validation suite.

Regards,

-don

Social Media and Community Professional
#IWork4Dell
Get Support on Twitter - @dellcarespro

Dev Mgr
5 Iridium

To add to dwilliams62, also be sure to get the latest host integration toolkit when using a 2008 R2 cluster (this may just be for the 5.0.2 firmware, but even if you initially stay with 4.3.7, you may later upgrade to 5.x, so it's best to already be on the newer hitkit.

Member since 2003

0 Kudos
hutcha4113
2 Iron

Thanks for the document.  I was looking for information like that, but couldn't find anything. 

If I am reading it correctly, it appears this is the best practise setup:

1)VM on the local Hard Drive of the server (1 VM per drive if possible).  The server in question has 4 * 146GB SAS...but it sounds like putting it in a RAID configuration is not the best idea.  Each drive should should be "separate" (for lack of a better term).

2)A Data drive for each VM created on the SAN

3)When I am ready to cluster, I setup CVS, so the VM's move back and forth on the cluster (when needed).

Does that make sense?

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Dev Mgr
5 Iridium

That won't work, as a clustered resource needs to be completely located on shared storage (not the "local hard drive of the server").

Also, if you plan to cluster, but currently don't have a 2nd server, I'd suggest to make it a 1-node cluster with CSV and everything set up already. This way all you have to do later, is join the 2nd host to the cluster.

Microsoft's hyper-v isn't as capable with "importing" VMs are VMware is; in VMware ESX/ESXi you browse the datastore, right click the .vmx file and select "add to inventory". Microsoft doesn't have anything near this easy in hyper-v.

Member since 2003

0 Kudos