Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 5th, 2011 13:00

Equallogic PS Series and HP Data Protector 6.2

Hi Guys,

Im hoping someone can point me in the right direction, im really stuck.

We've just had a new backup server installed running HP Data Protector 6.2 attached via SAS to a HP MSL2024 tape library with 2 x LTO5 drives. Problem is i am stuck on how to backup our exchange volumes and file server data which reside on our Equallogic SAN. The consultant thats working on our backups has asked me to mount the snapshots on the backup server but im not sure how to do this. We have snapshots and replication happening at the moment with servers with attached storage.

At the moment exchange and file server take ages to backup to tape via HP DP.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hiten

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 5th, 2011 14:00

Hello,

Manually backing up a snapshot is quite easy.  Since we're talking about exchange, if you haven't done so already, install the EQL Host Integration Toolkit (HIT KIT), from the EQL website.   Do the same on the backup server.

In the EQL GUI, give the backup server access to the snapshots ONLY, on the volumes to be backed up.  Also both servers will need access to the 'vss-control' volume on the array.  Group Configuration->iSCSI->VSS/VDS tab

Using the HIT kit to schedule your snapshots is recommended, since before the snapshot is created, the filesystem will be quiesced first.  This results in more consistent snapshots/replication.

On the backup server, you will be able to see the snapshots and run the backup program to back it up.  This way you will bypass the server and speed up backup.  Also,  the HIT kit allows you to restore single/multiple mailboxes with just a few clicks.

Doing this on schedule is more difficult.   The backup program that I am familiar with is Symantec Backup Exec.  They offer a feature called "ADBO"  Advanced Disk Backup Option.  AKA Off Host Backup.  That will automate the above.  It will create a snapshot for the backup, bring it online, the backup server will connect to that snapshot, back it up then delete it when done.  Since this leverages Microsoft Volume Shadow Service (VSS) any backup vendor can leverage this technology.   Suggest you contact HP to see if they offer something like this.

It is possible to script this if you are very skilled with PERL or Python.  Scripting the MS iSCSI initiator is a little more difficult but on the EQL support site there is a KB that has some basic info on it.  

Regards,

-don

4 Posts

September 5th, 2011 15:00

Does it matter if the backup server is 64 bit and the snaps are from 32 bit servers.

Thanks

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 5th, 2011 17:00

32bit vs. 64bit makes no difference at all when dealing with the snapshot.  It's just a "drive" full of files to the host.

But when using VSS, you have to be careful with off-host backups like Backup Exec.   Microsoft changes the VSS XML spec in W2K8.   So both server and backup server have to be same OS.   The HP product if it support VSS would have same issue.

-don

4 Posts

September 7th, 2011 02:00

Sorry i have a few more questions.

1. On the backup server i can right click smart copy in ASM and select attach external smart copy and then browse to the backup files (created by ASM) say for example on my file server and  attach the samrt copy which i assume i can then mount. Do these backup files from the ASM on all the server need to be in a central place which the backup server can access?

2. This works fine as a manual process, but i guess i am going to gave to script this somehow to attach the external smart copy, mount it, run the backup and then dismount it. Anyone know if this is correct and also where i can get some help scripting this, im not that hot on scripts.

Sorry for the mass of question, have made some progress albiet slow.

Thanks

Hiten

No Events found!