Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 11th, 2017 14:00

Equallogic PS4000XV: Drive not approved after Remplacements

Hello,

My problem is about a PS4000 with 16 HD (ST3600057SS, 15 K CHEETAH Dell Equallogic)

In The Last 3 month, i ve to replace two ST3600057SS by a new ones (Faulty HD detected).

I thought every thing runned fine, but now i notice a new warning about not approved disks. I dont now which HD are concerned.

When I look the hard drive view, i can see that the revision of the drive

- EN01 for the 14 HD (unchanged)

- EN03 and ES65 for replaced.

But no others Errors. All the disque are On line, and the ES65 is reserved.

I Want to identify the not approved disk and understand why ? Can you Help ?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 11th, 2017 14:00

Hello, 

You cannot use standard OEM drives in that array.  Even though they may show same part # and firmware they are not the same.  EQL drives, require a custom image that can't be copied onto a standard drive. They are manufactured that way.  So that drive will never function as a spare drive if you have another failure. 

You need to purchase a used EQL drive from a 3rd party. 

Regards,

Don 

5 Posts

September 12th, 2017 13:00

THX don,

but, those disks were bought and supposed to be equallogic HD. I think that the not approved HD is the one with the ES65 revision ? Do you know a way to be sure of that ? so i will be able to returned it to my vendor ?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

Hello, 

That firmware doesn't sound familiar but I would need more info.  What version of EQL firmware are you running currently? 

It's a pretty low level check that is pretty reliable.  The label itself should say Dell Equallogic.  I would still ask them for another one.  

Only other option would be to remove the drive.  Wait two minutes, then failover to the other controller and try the drive again. 

Regards, 

Don 

5 Posts

We ve made the update to the V9.0.5 

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

Hello, 

At that firmware it's unlikely to be a mistake.  Up to you if you want to try the controller failover just in case. 

Regards,

Don

5 Posts

September 14th, 2017 13:00

ok, after a physical check of the disks, the logo Equallogic isnt present on the disk. I ve to change this disk.

Thx for your help

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 14th, 2017 14:00

Hello, 

Glad you found out.  Appreciate the update as well. 

Regards,

Don 

No Events found!