Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 26th, 2012 06:00

Equallogic PS4110X Flow Control problem

I configured two Powerconnect 8024F switches for use with Equallogic. Firmware version on swithes is 5.0.0.4 and on the Equallogic the firmware version is 6.0.1. I stacked swithes together and I use 6 ports on every switch for that. I configured ports for use with equallogic and servers accessing that equallogic. I created seperate VLAN, set mtu size to 9216 and enable flow control. Here is the problem: I got an error or I should say Warning on Equallogic saying that: Ethernet flow control has been disabled on one or more interfaces. I checked severeal times the configuration but could not find any problems.

Any suggestion what could be the problem?

Thank you for the help!

Rafko

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 12th, 2013 09:00

Earlier in this thread, I said to disable DCB in the EQL GUI.  That's not correct.  DCB should only be disabled on the physical switches.

Re: Upgrade I'm not sure what you are asking.  Are you asking about performance impact during the FW upgrade process?

October 5th, 2017 01:00

Hi Dell-Donald Wi,

I have been tasked with turning off dcb on a port of a Dell 8024k switch. Could you give me a step-by step guide on how to do it via CLI?

Thank you!

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 5th, 2017 06:00

Hello, 

You will need to make sure you are at current switch firmware, then you can disable DCB globally, not per port. 

This guide shows how to do it. 

http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/extras/m/white_papers/20437136

This link has info on best practices with DCB and includes some text on configuration.  

http://en.community.dell.com/dell-groups/dtcmedia/m/mediagallery/20305369/download

Regards,

Don 

October 5th, 2017 16:00

Additional info that may help:

1.  DCB will automatically be disabled if you disable LLDP.  This is because DCB parameters are communicated via LLDP packets.  So if you turn off LLDP, it will turn off DCB as well.  Since many environments use LLDP, turning off LLDP is not an option.

2.  Edge devices like NICs and storage devices are in "willing mode", meaning they always inherit DCB parameters from a source switch.  So if you want to completely disable DCB in your network, you turn it off on the switch.   Some edge devices allow you to disable DCB, usually via the option ROM.

3.  It's not good practice to disable DCB on one edge device (i.e. EQL) and leave it enabled at the other end point (i.e. server NIC).  This causes flow control incompatibilities.

4.  On the PC8024, you can try to disable DCB on the interface itself via the following commands:

no lldp tlv-select dcbxp ets-config

no lldp tlv-select dcbxp ets-recommend

no lldp tlv-select dcbxp pfc

no lldp tlv-select dcbxp application-priority

Also, be sure to disable DCB globally via the "no dcb enable" command.

October 6th, 2017 00:00

Thank you for your reply. The problem is that I am unable turn it off globally because there is no such command, I have tried everything so far in vain.

Show version command prints the following:

show ver

System Description................ Dell Ethernet Switch
-omitted for brevity-
System Model ID................... PCM8024-k
Machine Type...................... PowerConnect M8024-k

unit image1      image2      current-active next-active
---- ----------- ----------- -------------- --------------
1    5.0.1.3     5.1.0.1     image2         image2

I was unable to turn lldp off, either because there is nosuch command either.

(config-if-Te1/0/9)#?

description              Add Description to the interface
do                       Run Privileged Exec mode commands.
dot1x                    Configure Dot1x interface commands.
exit                     To exit from the mode.
show                     Show configured settings and operational status.
shutdown                 Enable/Disable a port.

I don't know what the problem could be.

October 6th, 2017 01:00

OK, the original posting showed the switch was a PC8024F, but your config you posted shows a PCM8024-k.

I would recommend installing the latest firmware for the switch and follow the switch configuration guide which shows a minimal firmware version of 5.1.1.7 or later for the disabling DCB on the PCM8024-k

The link below will provide the SCG:

en.community.dell.com/.../download.aspx

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 6th, 2017 01:00

Hello, 

As I noted in my reply, you must first update the firmware on the switches to the current revision.  Then you can run the needed commands.  

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/powerconnect-8024f/drivers

You are about 5 years out of date. 

Version: 5.1.11.1 ,A28
Last Updated: 10 May 2017
 Regards, 
Don 
No Events found!