Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 26th, 2017 23:00

Equallogic PS6010

Hi guys,

I have a doubt; I've a Equallogic PS6010 with 8 disk 3TB Dell. Can I insert also SSD Disks to increase performance? 

I think I understand that the difference between the "E" "S" etc, is only in the disks that are inserted. The controller is always the same.
Please could you help me?

Thank you so so much.
Leonardo

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 27th, 2017 04:00

Hello Leonardo, 

There was never a 6010ES hybrid array, it had 15K drives with SSD drives. PS6010XVS 

Also you have to configure it as hybrid at initial setup time, you can't just add SSD drives later.  

Finally you will need to use Dell PS certified drives.  You are better off getting 8 more 3TB Dell drives.  That will improve performance. 

Regards,

Don 

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 27th, 2017 05:00

Hello, 

You are very welcome. 

I agree just adding more 3TB drives will be best option.  You get more IOs, and space and can be done live.  Just stage all the drives in the slots, but don't fully seat them.  Once last one is in, seat them all one right after another.  The new space will be available once the expansion completes.   Then volumes will be migrated to the new drives as well.  Thus improving IO performance for all volumes. 

Re: PS4100.  Yes.  All the arrays work the same. You can't just add SSDs to an existing array, regardless of model..  It has to be created that was from the start.  You can't convert to SSD configuration.  

Regards, 

Don 

5 Posts

Thank you so much. I've the last firmware (9 version) but I need more spare, so I thin that is better to add 8 more disks.

For PS4100 (with 6 disks 1TB) is the same. Correct?

Thank you so much.
Leonardo

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

Hello, 

Assuming all the drives are Dell EQL certified drives, then yes.  It' also depends on the firmware, if it's very old then it's not likely to work.  .  Also if you have an SSD failure the 15K spare will be used.  This will cause significant performance degradation until the SSD is replaced.  

It's not something I would suggest you do.  Only small SSDs were supported with the 6010.

The only supported configuration was 100GB SSDs and 450GB 15K RPM drives.  No other combo was certified to work.  

You would be better off installing all 10K or 15K drives vs. the hybrid. option.  Providing better capacity and good performance.  The supported 10K drives will be larger than the supported 15K drives, so I would use those instead. 

Regards,

Don 

5 Posts

Hi Donald,

thank you so much for your answer :-) If I change my 3Tb drives with 15k drives I can insert SSD and configure Hybrid array? I understand?

I do not have very clear how it works.

Thank you so much

Leonardo

5 Posts

January 12th, 2018 06:00

I'm sorry Donald for my question,

I activated the PS6010 with N.8 3TB disks (Raid6 without hotspare) and everything works perfectly. If I wanted it would be possible to put some SSD disks (I think they should be 8 at this point). I can recreate the volume without problems but I did not understand if it is a configuration that works (Raid6-accelerated). The controller, via CLI, gives me the Raid6-Accelerated as an option available but I do not understand if it should work if I buy 8 SSD Equallogic disks.

Thank you so so much

Leonardo

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 23rd, 2018 05:00

Hello,

You would have to reset the entire array, and then create the RAID6 accelerated.  However, the 6010 only supported 100GB SSDs.  The only config was 8x100GB SSDs and 8x 450GB 15K RPM drives.  Never larger SSD's nor mixes with 7200 RPM drives.

So I would advise that you not do that.  Getting 8x more 3TB drives would be best option.

Regards,

Don

No Events found!