Highlighted
3 Argentum

FS7610 and EQL group/pool limits

Jump to solution

Hi,

Previously I have been informed here that :-

"A "single" FS76x0 comes as a 2 node (controller) unit which can serve up to  509TB. If you add a 2nd FS76x0 and form a "cluster" all the number are doubled which mean 1000TB."

When speaking to Dell to attempt to design and buy a NAS solution to complement/integrate our EQL PS storage I have now had some contradictory information regarding what you get by adding a second FS7610 and forming a cluster within a single group/pool, namely that the capacity is the same whether there are 1 or 2 FS7610 nodes.  Note the last sentence.

Either way it doesn't seem I can get 1PB without having at least 2 EQL groups on the same infrastructure, each with 1 or more FS7610 and up to 8 enclosures. However if what I have previously been told here is true I can at least postpone that for some time as I will be able to go 4-5 years before I reach the limit of one group/pool/nas.

Scalability

The FS76x0 and EqualLogic SAN provide a file and block solution that scales easily and

efficiently as customer needs grow over time. The flexible architecture of Fluid File System

with PS Series arrays enables expansion of storage capacity and performance capabilities within

a single namespace. The FS appliance can address up to a maximum of 509TB usable capacity

available from a single EqualLogic storage pool. An EqualLogic pool can consist of 1 to 8 PS

series arrays (members).

Notes:

One EqualLogic Group can have only one NAS cluster. A NAS cluster consists of one or two

FS appliances providing file services.

·One EqualLogic Group can have one or two FS76x0 NAS appliances operating together in one

NAS cluster.

·A NAS cluster consisting of one or two FS76x0 appliances in an EqualLogic Group can access

storage for file from a single EqualLogic pool only. One cannot assign one FS76x0 appliance

to a pool and another FS76x0 appliance to another pool.

·

Maximum file capacity that a NAS cluster (and hence one EqualLogic group) can export is

509TB usable (all from a single EqualLogic pool).

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: FS7610 and EQL group/pool limits

Jump to solution

Currently you can only assign one "NAS" to a single group and pool.  That NAS unit could consist of one or two head units.  If you have two, then it forms a single cluster and they both will access the same pool.   So, yes currently in order to serve our 1PB you would need two FS76x0's and two EQL groups with 509TB each.   As newer, larger drives are available that will increase.  I would check with your sales/reseller to get a presentation of the product roadmap.

Social Media and Community Professional
#IWork4Dell
Get Support on Twitter - @dellcarespro

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Currently you can only assign one "NAS" to a single group and pool.  That NAS unit could consist of one or two head units.  If you have two, then it forms a single cluster and they both will access the same pool.   So, yes currently in order to serve our 1PB you would need two FS76x0's and two EQL groups with 509TB each.   As newer, larger drives are available that will increase.  I would check with your sales/reseller to get a presentation of the product roadmap.

#IWork4Dell

View solution in original post

Highlighted
3 Argentum

Jump to solution

Thank you !!!. Will be getting back to Dell to discuss no of FS7610s to buy, e.g 2 singles or 2 pairs. Need to consider cost/single point of failure/performance etc. Same switch fabric will be used so can you see any issues with having 2 EQL groups. Second group will be solely for NAS so no ESX server iscsi connections req'd. Any issue with using same subnet IP addresses (switches already configured for than subnet) or should we use a second subnet?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

My thought is that if you are serving out 500GB to 1PB that having a cluster is a must.

The number of arrays and servers you can have on a single SAN fabric depends entirely on the nature of the SAN.  I can say that with proper switches, that will not be an issue.  There are customers running many times that number of arrays and servers on the same set of switches.  

Regards,

#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

Jump to solution

To start with each group/nas will have only 5 or fewer PS6510 i.e less than 509TB per EQL group. presumably you can start with a single FS7610 (per nas) and cluster it later as the capacity increases.

0 Kudos