Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 7th, 2014 05:00

FW 7.0.2 - Synrep Issues and Errors

Dear Everyone,

After our upgrade from v6.0.4 to v7.0.2, we are getting strange errors by email and logging. These errors started after the upgrade.

Strangest thing is that when we are receiving an error and are logging in, the error is gone already.

Severity  Date and Time      Member       ID              Message                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  --------  -----------------  -----------  --------------  -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------   Error    7-4-2014 11:44:20  san4-shared  7.4.3 | 7.4.23  iSCSI login to target '10.x.x.x:3260, iqn.2001-05.com.equallogic:xxxx'from initiator '10.x.x.x:55898, eqlinitiatorsyncrep' failed for the following reason: | Initiator disconnected from target during login. 

Why is this error coming up so often since the upgrade? Is this a Hardware or Software failure? The reason i'm asking is that our other clusters are not showing this error.

With regards,

Andreas van der Linden.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 22nd, 2014 11:00

Hello,

[tag:no] dcb enable

[tag:no] iscsi enable

[tag:flowcontrol] receive on

You'll also want to set MTU 9216 and portast on all the EQL and server ports.

This PDF covers how to in more detail.

en.community.dell.com/.../download.aspx

FYI: The doc says enable iSCSI, but I found that besides forcing a reboot, it only sets flowcontrol on ports connected to EQL controllers, not servers.   So better to do it manually.

127 Posts

April 23rd, 2014 14:00

@Pentium3nl:

I don´t think STP/RSTP is your *real* problem. If it helps to disable STP on these ports you are either confronted with a) many global (r)stp recalculations or b) a flappy connection which goes online and offline from time to time. Both things are not good and the real reason should be your target. So i suggest to keep looking for possible causers of a) or b).

@ Don:

Thanks, Don.

I still see absolutely no advantage in turning DCB globally off on switch side. On the array, however, i can do it "on the fly" without the slightest kind of disruption. Again, i am wondering why you removed it from the GUI with V7. I would change that back if i could. But then again, sadly i can´t ;-) I can only suggest.

Best regards,

Joerg

PS by the way, am i the only one who finds these lines at least a little bit scary ->

---- from the official docs 8164 switch side ----

4 Reverting from DCB to non-DCB configuration (Optional)

One method to revert from a DCB configured switch to a non-DCB configured switch is to delete the current configuration (startup-config) and follow the steps in Section 2. If deleting the current configuration is not an option, then use the following procedure to unconfigure DCB and enable standard flow control.

Note: This is a disruptive operation that requires down time. The arrays will temporarily lose communication with each other. Power off all arrays and hosts connected to the SAN before proceeding with these steps. 

Disable DCB and the DCB policies console#configure

console(config)#no dcb enable
console(config)# no traffic-class-group weight
console(config)#no classofservice dot1p-mapping
console(config)#no classofservice traffic-class-group
console(config)#no iscsi cos
console(config)#interface range tengigabitethernet all
console(config-if)#datacenter-bridging
console(config-if-dcb)#no priority-flow-control mode
console(config-if-dcb)#no priority-flow-control priority
console(config-if-dcb)#exit
console(config-if)#exit
console(config)#interface range fortygigabitethernet all
console(config-if)#datacenter-bridging
console(config-if-dcb)#no priority-flow-control mode
console(config-if-dcb)#no priority-flow-control priority
console(config-if-dcb)#exit
console(config-if)#exit 

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 23rd, 2014 15:00

Hello,

Again, two reasons.  One it's per the IEEE spec.  End node DCB devices need to advertise their willingness.  But it's the switch that decides what's going on.   Similar to the Fibre Channel world.   So if the switch is configured for DCB then it's expecting everything attached is DCB enabled/configured as well.   it's not negotiated on a per end node basis.  You either do DCB or you don't.  You can't mix them.

127 Posts

April 24th, 2014 01:00

Hi Don,

i am completely with you on that point. BUT to use DCB in real world, you have to make sure, that a) EVERY switch in the line of traffic EQL-to-initiator carries and supports DCB, b) every target can use DCB and c) every initiator can use DCB. Now let´s say a fresh EQL Version 7 comes to the network, it is attached to a fresh n4064 and thus automatically enables DCB and thus, uses PFC. After the N4064 there are other switches, let´s say some 8024s and others WITHOUT DCB enabled. What will happen? The EQL will enable DCB because it talks to the N4064, but the afterlying switches don´t and the initiatitor don´t, too. So - we find ourselfes in a bad scenario because what i (the user) want is at least flow control. Yes, i agree, pfc would be nice -  but let´s be honest - there are not many initiators in real world at this point which do fully support it.

So - what now? Either I am forced to do a *very* hard modification to my N4064s (which will break network connectivity by the way, just read the intructions i posted earlier) OR i can set DCB off on the CLI of the EQL with Version 7.

Again, i would set this off on the EQL array. At least while DCB is let´s say *in the beginning* state, especially when it comes to the *whole* ecosystem, in detail the initiators.

Best regards,

Joerg

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 24th, 2014 06:00

Re: DCB.  Exactly, with DCB it's all or nothing.  Which is key at the switch layer. If the switch thinks it's a DCB environment, then it behaves that way.   If you have isolated switches for iSCSI then DCB isn't a big requirement.   Or if you have devices that don't yet do DCB you have to turn it off on the switch.

Re: New EQL. When that system comes on the network, there's no data on it yet.  It advertises that it can do DCB and that's all that's needed.   In fact every 30 seconds or so, per spec it advertises its willingness to do DCB.

Then you configure the array and configure DCB VLAN.  Done.  So any I/O you do to that array will be properly handled, prioritized and PFC will be enabled.

If you don't and just disable on the array, then in a DCB environment that traffic ends up in the lossy queue and no link layer flowcontrol as a backup.   Which can result in terrible performance and connection drops.  

127 Posts

April 24th, 2014 14:00

If you don't and just disable on the array, then in a DCB environment that traffic ends up in the lossy queue and no link layer flowcontrol as a backup.   Which can result in terrible performance and connection drops.  

For a 8164/N4064 i don´t believe that is correct. The 8164 factory design (standard config) is preconfigured to respond to DCB and EQLs will select and use DCB. But the 8164 (factory design) has also traditional flow control enabled and will respond to it and use it. I can confirm a 6210S with dcb disabled via CLI connected to a factory standard 8164 behaves perfect, uses flowcontrol and has no connection drops or performance problems. In fact, we did quite a few nasty benchmarks with it and it performed really well.

Now another word regarding "DCB environments" and "the other end of the line". I am not aware of many s/w initiators which really support dcb. So if you don´t use dependent initiators - you probably will not be able to use dcb in many cases.

Best regards,
Joerg

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 24th, 2014 17:00

It's not about how a particular switch is configured by default.  It's how DCB is designed to work.

I'm glad you are not having any issues. But others might if they do the same as you.

Are you sharing those switches with non-iSCSI traffic?

The docs I linked show that with DCB off, you have to enable flowcontrol.    

Re: Initiators.  Correct,  there's some code in Windows 2012 for it, but right now if you want DCB you need to use a HW HBA.  Currently the supported one for EQL is the Broadcom CNA adapter.  

127 Posts

April 25th, 2014 01:00

Yes, that is only one adapter. In my opinion a quite remarkable reason for enabling DCB as default in your switches and also in your storage arrays. Because DCB is *always* end to end. And as there is not many on the initiator end this time...

My personal opinion: You would have less problems (at this very time - the future is another thing, i am sure the future is DCB) making it easier to disable DCB or disable it per default and make it explicitly "activatable".

But so - i guess there is no way i can convince you to reconsider the DCB default activation in your switches and/or your storage arrays ;-)

Best regards,

Joerg

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 25th, 2014 09:00

Hello,

On that point I totally agree with you.   I wish DCB was not enabled on switches by default.  The end node devices like the array follow what the switch is doing so there's no harm there having it enabled.

When you get a new switch there's always configuration that needs to be done.  VLAN assignment, setting MTU size,  IP addresses etc.    So at that point disabling DCB and enabling flowcontrol isn't a difficult task.

127 Posts

April 25th, 2014 11:00

Hi Don,

i absolutely agree with you. But guess what the switch vendors are saying? "Hey - we got a super duper switch which is ready for everything - dcb, traditional flow control - we got it all setup for you ;-). Just plug it in and you are on, whatever you wish, our switch does it out of the box ;-)"

To be honest: This won´t change. Really.- Even DELL does it. Everyone does it. And i got used to it.

So i won´t change my point of view ;-) - I would want an easy way to disable dcb on the endpoint.

Best regards,

Joerg

No Events found!