July 5th, 2012 09:00

Free Pool Space Warning on a PS4100

Im receiving this email from SAN HeadQuarters

• Warning: 2.9% Free
            space remaining in pool default
    •   
    • Condition already
             generated an e-mail message. If the condition persists, additional
             messages will be sent approximately every 6 hours.

What I did is to delete a Volume of 400GB that wasn't in use so the final free space is 17.5% (480GB). But Im still receiving this email again and again.

the problem is that when I try to make smartcopies using the Equallogic Host Integration Tools, it takes up to 17 minutes to complete the task, (days ago it takes only seconds to perform this task). I was reading about this problem and the issue was the free space.

After deleting the volume (destroy it using the web interface) and watching the pie graph, it confirms that I have 17.5% but the performance of the smart copies are still very poor and Im still receiving the warning email.

any ideas?

Thanks

7 Technologist

• 

729 Posts

July 5th, 2012 09:00

Was the volume you removed in the “default” pool?

Some suggestions are:

Move volumes from the low-space pool to a different pool.

Reduce the amount of in-use storage space by deleting unused volumes

Reduce the amount of in-use storage space by reducing the amount of snapshot reserve.

-joe

June 19th, 2014 02:00

Is there a problem with not having enough free pool space available. Mine is down to 0.9% but I'm happy with that. However, I am fed up with the continuos notifications about this. Is there any way to stop them?

7 Technologist

• 

729 Posts

June 19th, 2014 07:00

It is recommended that you maintain at lease 5% free space.

Free space is needed by the system for proper operation including:

snapshots

replication

load balancing

thin provisioning

All of these features can operate in a group, regardless of whether it is a single member or multi-member group. The virtualization within the PS Series arrays needs this free space in order to allow new allocations (snaps, replication, thin provisioning) to occur in a high performance manner. Load balancing needs the space as load balancing is a background operation, due to performance reasons it may be slowed down or deferred in processing. It is important to not have the system run into space shortages due to the background nature of the processing (we need some cushion to do this).

The messages are there for that reason, with that said, our storage solutions provide our customers with the flexibility to allocate space as they see fit. Ultimately, the decision rests with the customer.

Note that all of our testing is done with a minimum of 5% free space, and we can't be sure that customers won't be risking exposure to undocumented behavior if they operate outside of our recommended parameters. It should also be noted these testing guidelines are also used when we develop our methods and tools for troubleshooting.

-joe

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 19th, 2014 08:00

When you deleted the volume, did you go to the Recovery Bin and purge it?   This will return the space to the pool.

No Events found!