Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 5th, 2013 05:00

Free Space reporting

Hi,

My Equalogic box is complaining about free space. 94% used. which leaves about 300Gb according to SAN HQ, but when I look at my cluster config on sever, its telling me that I have 1.3Tb free. 

I just wanted to check my understanding of this.. although my san is saying that its running low on space, I do infact have the 1Tb free that is being reported in windows. down to the fact that the SAN is a block device & although I move/delete from it, it does not then reclaim white space & if I add new files/vhds the white space gets overwritten by the new files, So I do in all likely hood do have the 1TB i am seeing/expecting

thanks

7 Technologist

• 

729 Posts

July 5th, 2013 06:00

The automatic re-thinning with HIT will require that you convert the volume to thin.  You can convert the standard on the fly without any disruption of service to users.

Yes, trust the OS reported size for the actual usage.

-joe

6 Posts

Hi Joe,

Thanks for that.. It is indeed a 2008R2 server. It doesnt (yet) have latest firmware.

So my thinking would be correct?   & I do have lots of free space?

6 Posts

Hi Jo,

sorry standard.

6 Posts

Hi Jo,

Thank you for the answers..

.. now just to get my Lasso report to dell & get my stuff updated.

7 Technologist

• 

729 Posts

If your cluster is a Windows 2008R2 it doesn't have a native way to do  the SCSI UNMAP.  Windows 2012 will do it automatically.

To do the Trim for Windows 2K8R2, you must have the latest versions on the firmware (v5.x or 6.x) and install HIT/ME v4.5.  There is a driver that will allows UNMAP to reclaim space on the fly.   This driver which will translate the TRIM commands W2K8R2 sends and replace them with the UNMAP commands instead.

For volumes already setup prior to installing HIT, you need to run the eqlrethin.exe against theses volumes manually

-joe

4 Operator

• 

1.7K Posts

You dont told us if youre using a thin provisioning volume or a standard one. Only with a standard volume you can be sure not to run out of space.

Regards,

Joerg

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 5th, 2013 10:00

Also, re-thining doesn't work on Hyper-V CSV volumes.

It will generate an error if you try.

No Events found!