Start a Conversation

Unsolved

B

117 Posts

August 27th, 2020 12:00

Half populated array?

Is it possible to run a PS6510E half populated?  I know some EQL models support this configuration but I was having a hard time finding definitive documentation regarding the PS6510. 

Currently it is fully populated with 48-drives, but some are failing, and we'd like to rebuild it half populated and save some of the remaining drives for another unit.

And yes, both units are out of support (and cannot be renewed anymore- past 7 years old).

• 

8.5K Posts

August 27th, 2020 16:00

Hi bealdrid2,

I don’t think it supports half population, everything I have found says minimum storage is 48TB.

1 Rookie

• 

1.5K Posts

August 27th, 2020 17:00

Hello, 

BTW, there is an extended warranty available.  It's hardware only good for up to 12 years from purchase. 

Called Post Standard Service. 

Regards,

Don

1 Rookie

• 

1.5K Posts

August 27th, 2020 17:00

Hello, 

It was always sold that way since if you are getting something that big you have big IO and space needs.  Also there's downtime to go from 1/2 to full.  

You're problem is going to be without all the drives you will not have all the RAIDsets it was intended to have. 

So performance will likely be impacted.  I will likely "function" but I would not expect it to work well.  Best option is get all the drives and completely fill up the chassis and only run RAID6. 

Regards,

Don

No Events found!