Highlighted
googol13
1 Copper

Hyper-V with backup/DR

Jump to solution

Hello all,

Glad to be here. I have some R810s and PS6000X's that I am configuring.

I am trying to understand ASM/ME for my environment, as we do have Netbackup 7.1 with all the agents.  I would like to have my own backup solution, so would like to use ASM as well as for its DR ability offsite. We have limited WAN bandwidth, so replication would have to be trickled.

I have already set up a Cluster of two 2008R2 enterprise full installations, but not with backup and DR in mind.  I am currently playing with server core in a cluster environment, but sadly ASM gui does not work for server core...at least remotely from what I have seen? Was hoping I could setup a server situation and client on a GUI workstation, similar to SAN HQ setup.

Basically these SANs are to host virtual machines for high availability, but if the main virtual machines go down at one site, we would like to bring them up at the other site.  Do I need 2 CSVs to handle this? 1 for the primary data, one for the secondary DR data? Same SANs will be utilized.  One SAN is at one site while the other is at the remote site, connected by a limited bandwidth WAN.  Do we setup ASM to snapshot or replicate the data from the first CSV to the second, then have the SAN replicate the data over?  It seems when we take snapshots, it places them in the same CSV, but that seems an issue when trying to make copies or even back it up via netbackup.  Sure we could install agents everywhere, but that seems like much more work.  It doesn't seem like the SAN supports NDMP.

Do I need to reconfigure my volumes and create 2?  I just have 1 big RAID 10 at the moment, going to expand to RAID 50 if I need more space.  Unfortunately, of course Raid 10 limits the space I have available, but currently with 1 CSV I should be good until snapshots possibly get out of hand, so I would have to tweak that policy.  It looks like I would want to do something called the Reciprocal Partnership.

I was hoping someone else in the field has had a similar situation or Dell could provide some advice on best ways to set it up in this particular environment?  I have read all the documentation twice and perhaps three times.  I admit I need to play with ASM some more, but been focusing more on server core for stability/security these days.  Any best practices?  Any recommendations?  Should I just go away with ASM and just use netbackup? Don't want to be completely reliant on tape as you know what could happen.  Do I need to use ASM for netbackup? Seems it might be best for netbackup to mount the snapshot volumes but isnt the snapshot volume the same volume with the virtual machines unless its separated somehow.  At least in my setup its 1 CSV right now.

Thanks and looking forward to hearing from you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Hyper-V with backup/DR

Jump to solution

Hello,

Let's start with some basics.   When you use EQL replication you configure replication for each local volume, so you don't have to create 2 volumes.  You allocate space on the DR site and the local volume is copied to the remote site. You can use the array to schedule that or ASM/ME can do it also.    The advantage of ASM/ME is the consistency of the replica or snapshot.  Before it is taken, ASM/ME calls on MS to quiet the filesystem first.  Flush out cache then do snapshot/replica.  When you schedule from the array, only data that's been submitted to the array already (in cache or disk) will be included in the snapshot/replica.

Regards,

Social Media and Community Professional
#IWork4Dell
Get Support on Twitter - @dellcarespro

1 Reply

Re: Hyper-V with backup/DR

Jump to solution

Hello,

Let's start with some basics.   When you use EQL replication you configure replication for each local volume, so you don't have to create 2 volumes.  You allocate space on the DR site and the local volume is copied to the remote site. You can use the array to schedule that or ASM/ME can do it also.    The advantage of ASM/ME is the consistency of the replica or snapshot.  Before it is taken, ASM/ME calls on MS to quiet the filesystem first.  Flush out cache then do snapshot/replica.  When you schedule from the array, only data that's been submitted to the array already (in cache or disk) will be included in the snapshot/replica.

Regards,

Social Media and Community Professional
#IWork4Dell
Get Support on Twitter - @dellcarespro