sketchy00
2 Iron

Re: Management Networks and SAN Snapshotting

Jump to solution

Wow... I overlooked this somehow.  Thanks Don.  Having previously set each datastore to RR, I did execute the following on one of my datastores:

#esxcli storage nmp psp roundrobin deviceconfig set -d naa.6090a09860213c7843eb34e9380180de -I 3 -t iops

Looking at the details again via esxcli storage nmp device list, I see that the "iops=3" validated the change, but I also see the the string "policy=rr" was changed to "policy=iops"  Is this expected?

Also, is it advisable that this only be performed while in maintenance mode, or can it be changed while in production?

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Yes policy=iops is correct.  From the solution I included:  

Path Selection Policy Device Config: {policy=iops,iops=3,bytes=10485760,useANO=0;lastPathIndex=3:

It 'can' be done live but I prefer not to personally.   Just in case the value gets set to something wrong and performance is impacted.  

Social Media and Community Professional
#IWork4Dell
Get Support on Twitter - @dellcarespro

sketchy00
2 Iron

Jump to solution

Perfect.  The test I had done was on a system in maintenance mode.  Just wanted to verify.  Thanks.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

You're welcome!

#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
trichmond80
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Thanks for the link to rinetd, Don. I plan on forwarding NTP and SMTP traffic from my isolated iscsi network onto my production network via my physical backup server. Seems like a better idea than routing that traffic...why make things more complicated than they need to be, right?

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

that works, or since you have a 4000 there's a dedicated Mgmt port @ 100Mb that you can put on your LAN so you can manage it and get alerts to your Exchange server.

#IWork4Dell

sketchy00
2 Iron

Jump to solution

Interesting... observation.  I took a host into maint mode, and of the datastores it was connected to (already set to RR), I applied the "esxcli storage nmp psp roundrobin deviceconfig set -d naa.[idnumber] -I 3 -t iops".  Verified all of the changes.  Took it out of maintenance mode, threw a couple of VM's on it.  Ran Iometer on one of them.  Then I went into vcenter on the realtime monitoring of the Network, and isolated just the two NICs associated with my iSCSI vswitch.  And I still only see one of them being used.  Weird...

I know I'd probably solve all of this by just installing and using the MEM, but that looks fairly involved from what I can tell.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

that is very weird.     Make sure that the failover in the ISCSI VMK ports properties is set to "No"    It's in the TEAMING tab, right above where you set the VMNICs to unused.  

Installing MEM 1.1 on ESXi v5 is VERY easy.  Since iSCSI is already setup all you are doing is replacing the PSP.  

I save the MEM zip file to a datastore then run the install on the ESX cli.  You can use the VIC client to upload the ZIP file to the datastore, then SSH/Console into the ESXi server.

#esxcli software vib install --depot  /vmfs/volumes/<datastore name>/dell-xxxxx.zip

You can either reboot or restart hostd so that the eqllogic namespace commands are available in esxcli.

#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
sketchy00
2 Iron

Jump to solution

In each of the given vmkernel ports, in the NIC Teaming tab, where I have one "active" and one "unused", all of the "Policy Exceptions" do not have a tick next to any of them, but the Failback does have a grayed out "yes"  For the actual vmkernel ports, the "Override switch failover order" is ticked so that one can be set as active, and one as unused.

I'll have to experiment on one of my other hosts for the MEM.  I see the latest one just came out for 5.0, so that might give me a little inspiration (along with currently only utilizing one NIC).

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

You still want to select the Checkbox next to Failover.   That will allow you to change it to No.  Otherwise ESXi v5.0 might use one of the unused ports anyway and that can cause latency and connection problems.

MEM 1.1.0 has a build for both ESX(i) v4.1 and ESXi v5.0.    Installing in 4.1 is a little harder but I use the vMA appliance and upload the setup.pl and the package file to the vma and install it there.  Still pretty easy just slower than installing right on VMFS volume with ESXi v5.0

Here's a VMware KB that talks about the failover issue in ESXi v5.0

kb.vmware.com/.../search.do

A fix is expected from VMware.

#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos