Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 17th, 2017 11:00

Max hard drive size for PS6000e

We are looking to replace our existing drives with larger drives.  We are not sure of the max size we can place in the 16 bay enclosure.  Also, what is the best way to replace all the drives and keep the current configuration and data?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 17th, 2017 13:00

Hello, 

The largest supported/qualified  hard drive for the PS6000 was 2TB.  Much depends on the EQL firmware only more recent firmware would allow a larger drive and using NON EQL harddrives will not likely work in it. 

If you did replace them you would have to create a new RAIDset with the new drives and restore your data.  Or get another chassis and add it to the group. 

Regards, 

Don 

3 Posts

May 17th, 2017 14:00

Currently it is on EQL FW 6.0.7.  I think the highest we can go is 7.1.14, due to the fact we have PS5000 in the group.  Will this version accommodate at least 2TB?

Is there a way to move the data to another device and the restore?  Sorry for the newbie questions, new to the Equallogic realm. 

3 Posts

May 18th, 2017 06:00

We are currently on EQL fw 6.0.7, the highest firmware version we can go to is 7.1.14 due having a PS5000e in the group.  Would 7.1.14 support at least the 2 TB hard drives?  Also, if we bought drives from a third party, would they theoretically work?  1 more thing, is it possible to transfer the data to a NAS and then restore back after the drives are replaced?  Sorry for the newbie questions, new to the Eqallogic realm and SANs in general.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 18th, 2017 06:00

Hello, 

Re: Drives. I can't answer that as larger drives were not qualified for that controller.  The code fixes might only affect newer controllers. 

Re:3rd party.  They would be used drives and again not qualified for that chassis/controller.  Could result in heat or power issues potentially resulting in data loss. 

Re: NAS.  Absolutely.  You can't access a NAS directly from the array, it would still have to go through a server.  

Used PS5xxx/PS6xxxx arrays are out there at pretty reasonable prices.  I would suggest going that route vs. potentially losing your data later. 

Regards,

Don

No Events found!