MatthewMcG
1 Copper

Re: NetApp FAS2240-2

Jump to solution

Hello Razmik and thanks for your reply!  I would like to again thank everybody who has replied.  I really appreciate the feedback.

I chose to go with the Dell Equallogic.  Although NetApp has a good solution, with many features and from what I hear very good support we did not choose NetApp.  Biggest reasons were value (my perceived value), easy of management, all options included in a single license, firmware upgrade even without a support contract, Dell had 900G 10k drives in the 2.5" SAS form factor (Netapp did not) and easily expandable by racking more units.  I also liked the ability to migrate data across group members.

The Dell Storage Rep did tell me that both controllers were active\active.  When I questioned this he did say that only 1 controller was delivering ethernet services but they were both load balancing disk managemnet functions and cache was mirror across controllers.  This does not sound like a true active\active to me.

Having the SAN be a SAN and not provide other services made sence to me at this time.  We hope to receive delivery by Feb 1!

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Razmik,

Once correction regarding volume resize.  You can increase AND decrease a volume on a Equallogic SAN.  The caveats are, filesystem must be shrunk first, (same for NetApp, if it's an iSCSI/FC volume), the volume will have to go offline briefly and the shrink command only works at the CLI, not via the GUI.  We allow the increase via the GUI, since its safe to do at any time.  Not so the other way around.

Regards,

Don

Social Media and Community Professional
#IWork4Dell
Get Support on Twitter - @dellcarespro

razvar
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Thank you for correcting me Don! appreciate it.

Razmik

0 Kudos