Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 5th, 2014 08:00

Outof the Box Firmware

Hello,

NetApp guy working with Dell now so please be kind. I am working with a 6510 and I need to know what the firmware is out of the box. I have the HIT tools installed and I am working on getting it networked. I need to know due to 2 other 6510's in the group that are at a certain rev. Also it will not let me just build it out it is not giving me the option to skip the group settings which is fine as long as it is 6.x.x and not a 7.x.x. I spoke with a rep who said this would cause an issue if brought into my group.

On a side not due to having it not on the network I am not able to use the 'setup wizard' im assuming that i will after the serial 'setup' is complete. Am i assuming correctly? Should I be able to sniff it out using the 'initilize an array' after that? thanks.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 5th, 2014 10:00

Also, once you have it on the network, if you use the remote setup wizard, when it discovers the array it will report the firmware version as well.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 5th, 2014 10:00

It depends on the date of MFR.   If recent, then 6.0.6-H2 is the likely version.    What version of firmware is the group currently running?

Also you won't be able to set it up w/o it being on the Network first, even using the serial port.

However, if you did connect serially,  then cancel the setup process.  You can do.

CL>support exec "uname -a"     That will report the firmware version info.

Depending on the firmware version of the existing group, you may not be able to add it into the current group.  I.e. it the current group is 7.0.x already or and older 5.x build.  

The firmware release notes and firmware upgrade instructions talk about what revisions work together.

All EQL arrays should be running as a minimum 6.0.8 firmware.   All members in the group need to be at the same firmware revision level.   For short term you can mix compatible levels of firmware in a group.  I.e. during the time it takes to upgrade them.   Not for long term production use.

9.3K Posts

March 5th, 2014 09:00

There is no 100% sure way to tell without trying.

I haven't tried it, but you can try to cancel out of the wizard and at the commandline try a "show". You may need to look to see if you can find the firmware in the output.

If you cannot find it there, another option is to set up the unit in a dummy (temporary) group, and then do a "show member membername". This will tell you the firmware. If it meets your needs, you can then do a "reset" (wipes the whole config and all data) right there in the serial command.

37 Posts

March 5th, 2014 13:00

Thank you Dell-Donald Wi, this got me my anwser. I also am going to need to setup dual nics, the setup is only allowing for eth0 can I go back and setup eth1?

4 Operator

• 

1.7K Posts

March 5th, 2014 14:00

The wizzard let you only configure one nic and all additional nics can be configured later within the GroupManager GUI (easiest way!) or on command line.

Btw. If we have to  add a new member to our existing group we upgrade all existing members  to the latest available FW if the hosts/application are compatible or certified for that version. In six years we only had to downgrade a new EQL once. Keep in mind that downgrade of PS6210 models to a FW 6.x is not possible.

About running mixed FW within the same Group this is only supportet for a short period of time. Its the time which is needed to upgrade all members to the same FW level.

Regards,

Joerg

24 Posts

March 5th, 2014 15:00

the firmware should be printed on the SD card on the module. However this might not be the one that is is running. You will need to be serial attached to watch the module post and say n to setup.

You should work with dell support and run the support command with the -a and it will provide the version information you are looking for.  

A force downgrade can be done on some firmware version but is not recommended. Since there is no data on a new system, it normally is not an issue. think of getting a module with a 5 series SD card the system will boot but typically there is already a configuration and it will be updated if it meets the requirements. With an empty unit.

Dell understand that not everyone can match to the latest level, so there are ways to get it to the level you need it. Work with support team.

No Events found!