Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 14th, 2011 13:00

PS4000 - Getting ISCSI event warnings on hyper-v hosts - events 9, 39 and 129

A week or so ago, a co-worker did some live migrations, during that time one of the hyper-v hosts bluescreened. We've been getting ISCSI warnings - 9, 39 and 129. I've researched it but don't have anything conclusive. One doc I found suggests turning off Jumbo frames. 

Event ID 9 seems to be a non-issue. Another doc suggests this.

"Event ID 9 is logged when the target did not complete a SCSI command within the timeout period specified by SCSI layer.

The dump data will contain the SCSI Opcode corresponding to the SCSI command.

Please try the following resolution to solve this issue:
======================================

1. On the Windows system, click Start, click Run, type regedit and press Enter.
WARNING: As serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly,

please refer to the following KB article to back up the registry before you modify it:

How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/en-us

2. In HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Disk,

edit or add the TimeOutValue entry to set it to 60 seconds in decimal format (0000003c in hexadecimal).

-- To edit the value for the TimeOutValue entry if it already exists, double-click the entry, enter the new value, and click OK.

-- To add the TimeOutValue entry if it does not yet exist, right-click anywhere in the list of values, and then click New > DWORD value. Name the new value TimeOutValue, and then double-click it to edit the setting.

Note:

If you are not running iSCSI Initiator v1.05a, you can also check the following:

Go to the registry value MaxRequestHoldTime at the following registry key:
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E97B-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
Increase the value to 90. If that does not work, try 120.

Meanwhile, please also contact to your iSCSI device manufacturer to confirm whether this issue is caused by the iSCSI device."

Any advice?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 14th, 2011 16:00

Hello,

Probably going to need to open a case, but at the time of the BSOD, where there any events on the EQL array?

I wondering if a connection load balance request occurred before the BSOD.  W2K8/R2 have a bug in the MPIO driver that will result in all paths being seen as down after a connection load balance request. (CLB).    MS has a patch for that, I dont have the KB number handy though, sorry.

Setting the disk timeout value on the Hyper-V host and in the VMs is a standard best practice.  

Not all switches handle both Jumbo Frame and Flowcontrol simultaneously, in which case flowcontrol is preferred.

Regards,

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 15th, 2011 10:00

You'll need to open a support case to further troubleshoot.  They'll need diags from the array and logs from the Windows server.  Are you using ASM/ME?   If so, make sure you're using the latest and support would also want the logs from ASM/ME.  

What kind of switches are you using?  

12 Posts

No events were logged on the PS4000 at the time of the bluescreen.

12 Posts

and thanks for your help

No Events found!