Highlighted
4 Beryllium

Re: PS4110 and 4kn drives

Jump to solution

Hello, 

OK did some more research.  I looked at that Dell PN they used and that appears to be for a Dell server, not PS Series SAN.  I looked up the Seagate drive model and that is NOT on the qualified list of drives for the 4110X.  

The largest 10K SAS drive qualified is 1.2TB RAW. 

Minimum FW for most of them is 7.1.x the newest ones required 9.0.x. 

So I would say that you did not receive the correct drives for a PS Series SAN. 

Regards, 

Don 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Thanks Don. Hopefully Dell will just approve getting the array back under warranty (although I think that has a low probablity). If not, looks like new array time.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Beryllium

Jump to solution

Hello, 

You are very welcome.  The maximum contract is seven years from ship date.  If you do get it under contract you'll want to update firmware before adding in the drives for sure! 

If you go to support.dell.com and put in the service tag you can see the ship date. 

Regards,

Don 

Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I have similar issue with my PS4110 blade enclosure arrays.  I lost one of the drives and drived to find a replacement on the Dell website.   No good.  So I ordered the exact same part number (tray and all) and installed the replacement only to find out that its not exactly the same part.   What gives?  How do I get my array back up and running?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Beryllium

Jump to solution

Hello, 

Unless the drive was specifically made for the EQL arrays it will not work of you model array  They come from the MFR specially coded.  The external drive number is the same.  The tray is a Dell standard carrier.  A drive for Power Edge or SC array will not work in an PS Series array.  There is also no way to convert one from OEM to EQL compatible. 

You need to find a 3rd party maintainer who specifically supports EQL arrays. 

You can also get the array back under warranty.  The PS contract are available up to 7 years from ship date.  There is also a new program to do Hardware only support contract for up to 12 years from ship date. 

Regards, 

Don 

0 Kudos