Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

March 6th, 2018 11:00

PS6100E

Need some help...

Equallogic drives are showing up as "not approved" in the array.  The drive part number is RTFJN, or ST4000NM0063.  The firmware version on the label is GEF3, but it looks like it's been updated to GEF4, which isn't listed as a compatible firmware.  We would like to update it to GEFA, but since the drive is showing up as "not approved", it will not complete the update. 

Need help please!!!

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 6th, 2018 11:00

Hello,

Where did you get the drive?  If it is not an actual Dell Equalllogic drive then it will never work with an EQL array.

The drives are custom manufactured by the vendor.  There's no way to convert or upgrade one to work.

Regards,

Don

March 6th, 2018 12:00

Hi Don, 

These are verified Dell drives, all exactly the same and all from the same vendor.  Some are working, but some are not.  The drives that are not working show as "not approved".  I've had this issue before, and it was solved by initializing the array, but that's not working this time.  

Is the firmware on the controller tied to the firmware on the drives?  I have one array running 9.1.2 and another on 8.0.4.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 6th, 2018 17:00

Hello,

It's definitely not related to the array firmware.  They could be "Dell" drives but not Dell / EQL drives.  I.e. Dell PowerVault or Dell / Compellent drives will not work in an EQL array.

I would get vendor to send you new drives.  

Regards,

Don

No Events found!