Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

May 27th, 2015 11:00

PS6210E evict member from group using Microsoft iscsi initiator

Added a  PS6210E Array to a group that uses Microsoft iscsi initiator to connect it to an Oracle database on Windows Server 2012. Now see both arrays in SAN manager but no iscsi connections on new array. Want to evict original array so I can move it to a different rack and reconfigure it for something else without downtime. I can add and evict in our VMWare SAN group without downtime, just want to make sure I know what is involved for the arrays that only use the Microsoft iscsi initiator.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 27th, 2015 12:00

Hello,

Not sure I understand what you mean by "so evicting is just like VMware group?".  Member eviction is done at array level, regardless of host OS connecting to it.

The new member will get connections when data starts migrating to it.  Connections will then be created or balanced to that member.  

In the RAIDset completely finished building and shows that capacity in the GUI?   If so, then I would suggest you open a support case to see what could be preventing the new member from being used.  Until then, do not try to remove the old member from that pool.

The suggested process of removing a member from a pool or group, is to create an empty pool and move that member to that pool.   Once that's done, you can then delete the member from the group.

Regards,

Don

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

Hello,

Is the new member in the same pool as the one you want to evict?

Have you configured the RAIDset?

Also make sure you enable the 2nd interface on the 6210E.  

Is the other array also at 7.x firmware?  All members in the same group need to run same firmware.

If they are in different pools, and the RAIDset/NICs are OK, then you can move the Volumes from one member to the new 6210E.   This is done in the background w/o interrupting the servers.

Regards,

Don

I have another san group with 3 PS6210E members that is for VMWare..

The oracle san group has 2 PS6210E members- both show 15TB used of 39.46 TB

only one of them shows volumes and iscsi connections. will call support..

Same pool, same firmware, same raidset, all interfaces enabled.

So evicting is just like VMWare group?

When does the second member get the iscsi connection?

first member shows 2 iscsi connections to the 2 volumes.

second member shows 0 iscsi connections.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 27th, 2015 13:00

Have you configured your Oracle Servers with MPIO?  Or are you using trunking?    How many iSCSI connections does member 1 show?

When you have multiple members in the same pool, a separate hidden MESH connection is automatically created.   So it's working as it should.

Don

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

Thank you for the clarification.

OK, so the members have split the data.  That's good.  Sounds like you are not using MPIO with those servers?  

When you look at your volumes, it should show data being on both members.

Don

volume status shows volume distribution on both members

volume iscsi connections only show member 1

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 27th, 2015 14:00

The answer is both.  You should enable MPIO on general best practices.  Provides better performance and increased redundancy.

However, if you remove one member, it will move to the remaining member automatically as more of the volume is on the final member.

That does explain why there are no connections to the other member.  That hidden MESH connections allows you to write/read data to that other member.

Regards,

Don

enabled multi-path on oracle server and now I have 2 connections to member 1 and 2 connections to member 2. Now all I need to do tomorrow is to evict member 2??

Oracle server is configured with iscsi initiator. Multi-path not enabled.

Member 1 shows 1 connection to volume oracledata and 1 connection to volume oraclearch

Member 2 has no connections to anything.

Should I enable multi-path on the connections or will it connect to member 2 if I evict member 1?

I have a ticket in with support...

so, should I enable multi-path first and then evict the member or can I just evict the member? It will end up with only one member in the group when all is done.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 27th, 2015 15:00

Yes.  Move it into a new pool first.  I.e. create a pool called "temp" or "Maint"   Then move that member to that under Member settings.   It will show you the progress in the Operations tab.

Once the move is 100% complete.  Then select that member in the new pool and do "Delete Member".  That's the proper way to do this operation.

Don

No Events found!