Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 15th, 2020 06:00

Prorxmox iscsi targets

Hi i have 4 array disk and 50 hyper-v mounted i need to power off my 4th equal logic array disk so i need to look for which hyper-v is connected on it without accessing on array disk interface !!

Any solution  ?

Need some help please help

1 Rookie

• 

1.5K Posts

March 24th, 2020 21:00

Hello, 

Re:SSH  Yes you can access the CLI via SSH.   When you login run this command and reply with the results

GrpName> show mem -poolinfo
Name Status Version Disks Capacity FreeSpace Connections Pool
---------- ------- ---------- ----- ---------- ---------- ----------- -------
PS6210E online V10.0.3 (R 24 33.74TB 32.73TB 142 default
469188) 

GrpName>show volumes 

Find the volumes you are interested in finding who is connected. 
  GrpName>volume select show connections 

e.g if the volume name is 'exchange-vol1' 

GrpName> volume select exchange-vol1 show connections
Initiator UpTime RxData TxData
--------------- ----------------- --------------- ---------------
192.x.x.x 100days 3hr 41mi 3.43GB 220.50GB  n 31secs
192.x.x.x 100days 3hr 41mi 499.84GB 840.14GB  n 11secs
192.x.x.x 100days 3hr 41mi 907.17MB 14.05GB n 1secs

This will show you what servers you have connected to that volume. 

Now run:

GrpName:volume select show members

Grpname>volume select exchange-vol1 show members
Member Name Contribution (Reported Size) Pool
--------------- ---------------------------- ----------
PS6210E 2TB default

But AGAIN, just shutting off a member in a group to save power is NOT a solution.   The configuration database is maintained on EVERY member.  So if that member is offline it won't get updated. 

If there are not volumes on that member it if its in its own pool then you can DELETE it from the group.  That will reset it and later if you need it you can re-add it and reconfigure it. 

Regards, 

Don 

1 Rookie

• 

1.5K Posts

March 15th, 2020 08:00

Hello, 

A few questions: 

1.)  Why are you shutting down the 4th "drive" array? 

2.)  Is that member configured in the same Group as the other three arrays? 

3.)  If yes, then are they in the same pool within that group? 

If yes, then just powering off that member will bring down volumes that are sharing part of the volume data with that fourth array. 

If you are powering down an Equallogic array then you first need to shutdown the servers. 

If you are trying to remove it permanently from that group, it will have to be deleted from the group first. 

We need to know more about how those arrays are configured to assist you 

Regards,

Don 

55 Posts

March 15th, 2020 09:00

the problem is that i don't know the existing architecture ! i have a document about the architecture  but it's not up to date ! so i wanted to verify if the array disk have a linked hyper v , if not i should power it off to optimise electricity 

1 Rookie

• 

1.5K Posts

March 15th, 2020 10:00

Hello, 

Until you can verify configuration I would NOT power off any of the array members. 

The design of the Equallogic is that when members are in the same pool they split the volume data across them in a stripe.  Power off a member would cause that stripe to go offline.  Bringing down ALL connected Hyper-V servers that have that member in common.   

The benefit off this configuration is consolidation of space, increasing the IO capability as you scale but does have the drawback of a single complete failure of a member can cause data unavailability.  Each member is highly redundant, but a pool won't tolerate a single member being powered off.  

Regards, 

Don 

55 Posts

March 15th, 2020 10:00

the problem is that i could'nt find a way to verify configuration !

is there an iscsi command to set on each hyper-v to verify one by one if it is connected on my wanted array disk ? 

1 Rookie

• 

1.5K Posts

March 15th, 2020 14:00

Hello, 

Then just shutting down an array is a bad idea.  Do you have the password for the grpadmin user account? 

Regards, 

Don 

55 Posts

March 24th, 2020 08:00

Yes ! i have my login and pwd ! Can i access to it using ssh connection ? and which command can i set to show my connected hyper-v?

• 

6.9K Posts

March 24th, 2020 13:00

Hello annonyme1,

You will need to login to group manager to see how your system is configured.  Since you have a username and password you can use that to see how all your Equallogics are configured & if your hyper-v hosts are connected.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

55 Posts

March 25th, 2020 09:00

I should optimize my data center in order to save power !I have only 1 hyper-v connected on my array disk and i have a lot of free space in my three other array disk so if i can change the target on my hyper-v to connect it to another used equalLogic i think i wont need the 4th array disk ! 

1 Rookie

• 

1.5K Posts

March 25th, 2020 12:00

Hello, 

If you send me the requested information I might be better able to assist you.  If you want to reduce power, you will have to remove that member from the group. Which means there has to be enough free space as seen by the storage not the OS to cover what the deleted member provided to the pool 

All the array members in a single group are integrated. They are not just a bunch of disks connecting to your servers. 

Don 

No Events found!