Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 9th, 2017 12:00

Re-thinning Volumes

Hi,

We have 3 volumes on our file server which are directly connected to the SAN using iSCSI Initiator. We have changed these to thin provisioned. The file server is running Windows server 2012.

We have installed ASM version 5 onto the file server, however when we go to re-thin the volumes they are greyed out saying, Disabled: The firmware on the PS Group does not support rethinning). The firmware on the storage array is version 8.1.1.

Is there a way to re-thin the volumes?

Kind Regards

Rash

10 Posts

August 25th, 2017 04:00

Hi Don,

I called Dell support and the other 2 volumes magically showed :) Always the way. Thanks for your help as always.

Kind Regards

Rash

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 9th, 2017 12:00

Hello, 

Did you set the access control for the VSS-Control volume on the Group for the three servers?  In the Group Configuration there's a tab VSS/VDS.  Make sure you have added the three servers there. I typically use the IQN name of each server. 

In the MS iSCSI initiator, in the targets tab, you should see the vss-control volume there and be able to log into it. 

Are these volumes using EQL replication?   If so, then SCSI UNMAP / re-thining isn't supported. 

Regards,

Don 

10 Posts

August 24th, 2017 08:00

Hi Don,

I have added the server IP address to the VDS/VSS in Group Configuration, the vss control is now showing in the Targets in the iSCSI Initiator. One of the volumes is now showing but the other two are not.

Looking at the 3 volumes in Group Manager, the only difference I can see is the volume that is showing has basic access points configured, the other 2 volumes which are not showing have access polices in place. I have added basic access points with the same IP's as the volume that is showing but still no joy.

We are not using EQL replication.

Any ideas?

Kind Regards

Rash

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 24th, 2017 09:00

Hello Rash,

No.  At this point opening a support case would be my suggestion.  They can look at the logs and array diags. 

Regards,

Don 

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 25th, 2017 09:00

Hello Rash, 

Isn't that just always the way?  :)  

You are very welcome.  I"m happy that I helped out. 

Have a great weekend. 

Regards,

Don 

No Events found!