RE: Reclaim Not Working on Equallogic Volumes?

Just re-tested this on a native VMFS5 datastore.  Works beautifully!

0 Kudos
2 Iron

I have a volume that is almost full. The traditional method is to map the VMDK files into another VM and zeros up them in that VM (run sdelete in Windows on these drives etc) which is very time consuming.

The recommended method (if you have storage vMotion license) is to migrate all the VMs into a new EQL volume and delete the previous volume.

Since I have recently upgraded our vSphere 4.1 to 5.5, I would like to try out the command: esxcli storage vmfs unmap.

However, I'm got quite confused over what has been discussed above. How does VMFS3 and VMFS5 influence the process of reclaiming the deleted space? And what is the impact for VMFS5 upgraded from VMFS3 vs fresh VMFS5 volume? My EQL volumes are still in VMFS3. Must I upgrade them to VMFS5 first before executing "esxcli storage vmfs unmap"?

0 Kudos

VMFS v3 does not support UNMAP.  If you upgrade a VMFS v3 to v5 that too does NOT support UNMAP.  It has to be a non EQL replicated volume, FW 6.0.x or greater, formatted natively with VMFS v5 format.

Social Media and Community Professional
#IWork4Dell
Get Support on Twitter - @dellcarespro

Hello. Thank you for the answer.

For me it doesn't work, and it could be because I have configured replication for the volume (i.e. requirement number 2 on your list is not satisfied). Must I remove replication for that volume temporarily and then re-configure it?

0 Kudos

Correct, if you have sync, or async replication enabled on a volume, reclaim will NOT work.  You would have to disable replication in order to support unmap.  However, then you would have to re-replicate the entire volume again when you re-enable replication

Social Media and Community Professional
#IWork4Dell
Get Support on Twitter - @dellcarespro

0 Kudos