Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 13th, 2017 10:00

Remove Default Storage Pool of Ex-Member

Hi everyone,

This is my first time posting here and I hope someone can help me clarify the following, I have a group composed of two old PS6100 and recently I added a PS6210 as it was going to be part of the same group however I had to remove it to make some test with the Storage in an isolated environment.

The "problem" I see now is that in my original Group I was left with a (default) Storage Pool that belonged to the PS6210 I removed, I have searched for a way to delete it or make one of the other two Pools I have  the default but haven't had any luck so far, technically speaking I dont have any issues with assigning LUNs or other tasks but I would like to leave the Group "clean" of unnecessary information, from what I have investigated it seems this is not possible but would like to get an answer here.

Regards!

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 14th, 2017 07:00

Hello, 

You are very welcome. 

At the CLI if you run:

GrpName>show -poolinfo   You'll get a long output that ends with something like this:

____________________________________ Pools ____________________________________

Name Default Members Volumes Capacity FreeSpace
-------------------- ------- ------- ------- ---------- ----------
default true 1 14 33.74TB 30.62TB
Production false 0 0 0MB 0MB

You can merge the non-default group into the default pool, but it won't cause any issues if you don't. 

When you add the 6210 back in, I always add it to a temp pool before allowing it to handle data.  This allows me to create the RAIDset and configure the network interfaces, etc w/o concern that it will be handling data during that process. Worst case, the RAID create fails.  Extremely rare but better safe. 

Also allows you to upgrade the firmware on the array and drives if there's an update available. 

There  used to be an option in the GUI to set "default" to another pool.  I believe that was removed some time ago.  I checked the CLI and didn't find it there.  

Regards, 

Don 

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 13th, 2017 11:00

Hello, 

The default Storage Pool is created as part of the group configuration and cannot be deleted. 

Regards,

Don 

December 14th, 2017 06:00

Hi Donald,

Thanks for your answer, that´s what I have been reading but isn't there a way to move the (default) tag so to speak to another pool? In my case the Default Storage Pool belongs to the last PS6210 I added and then removed from my Group, the member was deleted correctly but the Pool is still there.

If this is the expected behavior then I don't have any issues, I just don't want to have a problem if later I add back the PS6210 with the same name.

Regards!

December 14th, 2017 08:00

Thanks again for your fast response Donald, I will check with CLI the output of the command and will add the 6210 later to a temp pool.

Regards!

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 14th, 2017 12:00

Hello, 

By the way, you can add the 6210 to the "Default" pool if you wish, since it's currently empty.   That's where it will go by default.  Some folks like to have a "temp" or "Maint" pool to make it more obvious.

Regards,

Don 

No Events found!