Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 16th, 2015 15:00

Replicate EQL to a group with multiple pools

I am wondering how to and if you even can go about this.

I am replicating to a group of older SANs in our DR site that have mixed speeds from 10k-7.2k on the drives. Yes i know its DR but i have split up the 3 - 10k san into a pool and the 2 - 7k san into a pool.

How do i replicate Volume 1 in prod to 10k pool and Volume 2 to the 7k pool?

Whenever i looked at he delegation of space i couldn't figure out how to delete specifically from 1 pool or the other and if it would even be selectable when replicating.

So is this possible WITHOUT splitting the pools into their own groups.

Anyone?

August 17th, 2015 08:00

Hello, Tsz109...

With PS Series firmware v8 and later, you can assign delegated space for in multiple pools, and the entire storage space can be used within the group for replication. Delegated space can be assigned in one, some, or all pools. Prior to PS Series firmware v8, delegated space was restricted to one storage pool for a particular replication partner. Also, in PS Series firmware v8 and later, you can configure a mapping between primary pools and secondary pools for initial replica set placement.

Refer to the following document for additional information:

en.community.dell.com/.../19861448

Please let me know if I can provide additional information.

Have a great day.

Hello, Tsz109...

With PS Series firmware v8 and later, you can assign delegated space for in multiple pools, and the entire storage space can be used within the group for replication. Delegated space can be assigned in one, some, or all pools. Prior to PS Series firmware v8, delegated space was restricted to one storage pool for a particular replication partner. Also, in PS Series firmware v8 and later, you can configure a mapping between primary pools and secondary pools for initial replica set placement.

Refer to the following document for additional information:

http://en.community.dell.com/dell-groups/dtcmedia/m/mediagallery/19861448

Please let me know if I can provide additional information.

Have a great day.

3 Posts

August 17th, 2015 06:00

Anyone think of how this will work?

56 Posts

I think what you want will work, but you have to have PS v8.0.x firmware installed.  You can then provision delegated space in multiple storage pools on the partner group by going into "Manage delegated space."  At that point "under replica set placement" you can map source pools to destination pools.  However if you have two volumes in the same source pool, they would be replicated to the same destination pool by default.  You can't control the mapping on the volume level, but you can after the fact move a replica set to an alternate pool by going into "Inbound Replicas", right clicking the one you want to move, and selecting "move replica set".  This seems kind of manual, but I think it would ultimately do what you want.  Also, I have not done this myself, rather just going off what I see in the GUI, so best luck to you.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 23rd, 2015 09:00

Hello,

That is the correct answer, upgrade to 8.x firmware if you wish to have multiple delegated spaces in different pools.  Both primary and DR sites must be running 8.x. firmware for this to work.  You mentioned "older" SANs.  If they are really old controllers they may not be supported with 8.x firmware.  What model arrays are they?

Regards,

Don

No Events found!