Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 23rd, 2016 01:00

Replication Compatibility

Can anyone point me in the right direction for replication compatibility between different model EqualLogics?

Im wanting to add a replication partner to my current SAN infrastructure as an extra level of backup

We have x2 SAN's which are not in the same group, these are:

PS4100

PS6100

Im looking to replicate data off both of them, or at least the PS4100. Can this even be done and if so would I need the same model SAN to act as the replica partner?

We are using iSCSI

Thanks

4 Operator

• 

1.7K Posts

December 23rd, 2016 04:00

Hi,

Two different Groups = Async Replication is possible, you dont need the same models

Same Group = SyncReplication is possibe, models should the same or very similar

Life becomes easier when both are on the same FW level and in the same subnet without Routing/FW between the 2 groups and members.

Setup the relationship between both groups and specify the delegated space.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 23rd, 2016 06:00

Hello, 

As Joerg mentioned it's more about the group firmware level vs. EQL array model.  A way to think of it is Windows 2012 running on an i5 processor is fully compatible with another Windows 2012 running an i7.  The underlying H/W can be different but the OS is the same.  with EQL,  the model tells you what controller, what interfaces, and types of drives.  7.2K, SAS, SSD, etc..   But if the arrays are running compatible firmware levels they can replicate w/o issue. 

A caveat though, you need MORE space on the remote side.  The minimum reserve for a replicated volume is 105% of the original.   So if the source side is 100GB you need a minimum of 105GB on remote side.  

You can absolutely replicate in both directions, assuming you have the free space to do so.  

If  the ASYNC replication is outing over a WAN,  there's no requirement that they be on the same subnet.    That link will determine how fast replication is done. 

The basic steps are create the Replication Partnerships between the groups and decide how much space to reserve for that Group.  So if the PS4100 was the remote side, you would create the partner and then delegate some amount of space for replication.  That space will be reserved for that partner along.  So if you were replicating a 100GB volume you would have to reserve a minimum of 105GB the default be 200GB, to hold the entire volume and some deltas in case you needed to go back farther. 

Then on the source side you use the configure replication option and select that partner and set a schedule. 

Regards, 

Don 

No Events found!