Start a Conversation

Unsolved

AC

12 Posts

October 10th, 2018 09:00

Reset/Wipe PS4100X array via Network

We're decommissioning a PS4100X array.  I want to Reset/Wipe it, but I only have ethernet access to it right now.  It's in a remote location and I don't have a serial cable connected.  If I reset via telnet, I think that'll remove the IP info.  Is there a way to just wipe and reset the RAID without needing to connect via serial cable and reset the entire array?  Also, are there any best practices for wiping one of these?  I've seen suggestions of resetting multiple times with multiple RAID levels and no Spares, and even creating volumes and filling writing bogus data to them from another host.  It's surprising there's no secure wipe option from the built in utilities.

Thanks for the thoughts.

1 Rookie

• 

1.5K Posts

October 10th, 2018 12:00

Hello, 

Let me tackle the last question first.  In the newest firmware there is such an option.  However, "secure" wipe is a bit of a misnomer.  Even the old DoD standards of wiping drives repeatedly is no longer valid.  As recovery capabilities have improved dramatically over the years.  Only complete destruction of hard drives are considered "secure".   

You can reset a SINGLE array group over the network.  If it is part of a larger PS group then it must be DELETED from the group.  The end of that process will reset it back to factory defaults. 

Once you start the reset process, you are correct at some point you will lose network connectivity to it. 

A common solution is to use a local computer near the array and use that serial port to connect to the array and remote console into that local computer. 

The PS array arranges blocks into larger pages.  When you reset the array to remove the maps that indicate what pages go to what volumes and where.  So even if you recreated the array that map is gone so getting any data back will be difficult.  In multiple member pools this problem increases dramatically.   

If you are truly concerned about the data on those drives, then they must be completely destroyed. 

Also if you have access to a computer that s one the same subnet as the reset array you can use the Remote Setup Wizard tools to configure it again w/o needing the serial cable.  Then you could create a new temp group and reset that array again.  Providing additional protection against recovery. 

Regards, 

Don 

12 Posts

October 10th, 2018 13:00

This is a single member group and we've already migrated the data off of it manually. Thanks for the thought about using The Remote Setup Wizard. I just reset the member using Telnet and will check back later to use the RSW to build it again (probably multiple times). I'm comfortable with multiple wipes, but understand the concern and warning. Thanks a lot for the push in the right direction.

1 Rookie

• 

1.5K Posts

October 10th, 2018 21:00

Hello, 

You are very welcome.  I'm glad that I could help out. 

Don 

No Events found!