Highlighted
babaracus
1 Nickel

The EqualLogic VSS Requestor service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this x time(s).

Hi,

I keep getting an error in the system event logs on our SQL Server 2008 R2 failover cluster regarding the Equallogic VSS Requestor service terminating unexpectedly, I don't even use Equallogic to take backups (We use Microsoft Data Protection Manager 2012).

Is their any way to find out why this is occurring such as log files, debug tools etc? I did look in the trace.log but couldn't find anything.

Or can I just uninstall ASM from the cluster hosts? Is it even required to be installed to connect to the Equallogic array from the cluster nodes? 

Log Name: System
Source: Service Control Manager
Date: 10/04/2014 07:58:08
Event ID: 7034
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: SQL01.local
Description:
The EqualLogic VSS Requestor service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 40 time(s).
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Service Control Manager" Guid="{555908d1-a6d7-4695-8e1e-26931d2012f4}" EventSourceName="Service Control Manager" />
<EventID Qualifiers="49152">7034</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8080000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2014-04-10T06:58:08.046316300Z" />
<EventRecordID>2016824</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="568" ThreadID="13092" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>SQL01.local</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data Name="param1">EqualLogic VSS Requestor</Data>
<Data Name="param2">40</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

0 Kudos
2 Replies

RE: The EqualLogic VSS Requestor service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this x time(s).

You should be able to stop / disable EQLASMAgent (Auto Snapshot Manager Agent) and EQLReqSerivce  (VSS Requestor) without ill effects on your SQL server. As to why the VSS requestor would crash without you using it is beyond me, maybe a VSSTrace can help shed some light on it: blogs.technet.com/.../how-to-vss-tracing.aspx

Strictly speaking nothing but an iSCSI initiator is REQUIRED to connect to EqualLogic arrays, but in reality you practically NEVER want to have a host without a HIT (besides the backup functionality you might not need, the MPIO DSM you'll definitely want).

0 Kudos
babaracus
1 Nickel

RE: The EqualLogic VSS Requestor service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this x time(s).

Thanks for the reply,

Is it safe to also disable the Equallogic VSS Service as well?

Don't suppose there is any detailed information on what each of these services actually do?

0 Kudos