Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 9th, 2016 16:00

Unable to update Firmware on replacement Controller Module

Hey all
- Dell Equallogic PS6100 unit.
- 1 of 2 Controller module's had a dead battery and we replaced it purchasing one from Dell.
- Took the old one out and confirmed the Secondary Controller is active and running connections.

- Put the replacement controller in and can see it in the GUI successfully.
- Bunch of warnings/errors in the GUI, some still active: Control Module Cache is syncing (24 hours).

- The new replacement card has Firmware 5.1.2 on it. Whenever I try to update the firmware I get this error 'Inter-controller communications failure - 99'. I have tried through CLI and GUI and tried many FW versions, as its 5.1.2 I tried firmware 5.2.9 (even though 9.0.3 is the latest) and still got the error.

- I can't find a way to update firmware on just 1 of the Controller Modules. The other healthy active Module is running 9.0.3. I'm just trying to update the firmware on my new replacement controller but can't get it working! Help please :) Thanks 

4 Operator

• 

1.7K Posts

November 10th, 2016 07:00

When you replace a EQL CM you swap your old SD/Flash card which holds the right FW into the new CM. Otherwise you have unmatched FWs in the EQL.

Regards
Joerg

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 10th, 2016 08:00

Hello, 

As mentioned, the best option is to swap out the SD card from the original controller. 

Depending on the specific versions, you can also go to the CLI of that member and run "update". 

This would be WITHOUT having a firmware kit uploaded.  It will attempt to transfer the firmware from the active controller, to the passive over the controller interconnect bus.  

If the versions are very far apart this may not work. 

Regards, 

Don 

July 22nd, 2023 10:00

Don - how would you select the control module to target the update? I am in the same situation and show one of the modules in an older version.

1 Rookie

• 

1.5K Posts

July 22nd, 2023 11:00

Hello, 

If you are trying to transfer a KIT to the active CM and THEN run update, that will never work. 

The only thing you can try is go to the CLI of the active CM.  Make sure there is NO firmware kit installed. 

A sample on how to check for kit files and remove them.  The FILENAME will begin with kit and end in .tgz 

GrpName> su exec "ls -l"
You are running a support command, which is normally restricted to PS Series Tec
hnical Support personnel. Do not use a support command without instruction from
Technical Support.
total 12
-rw------- 1 root wheel 35 May 17 2022 .lesshst
-rwxr-x--x 1 grpadmin wheel 1083 Nov 18 2020 rm_badchap.sh
-rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 0 Jul 22 14:05 example.txt
drwxrwxrwx 2 root wheel 512 Nov 11 2020 usr
GrpName> su exec "rm example.txt"
You are running a support command, which is normally restricted to PS Series Tec
Technical Support.
GrpName> su exec "ls -l"
Technical Support.
total 12
-rw------- 1 root wheel 35 May 17 2022 .lesshst
-rwxr-x--x 1 grpadmin wheel 1083 Nov 18 2020 rm_badchap.sh
drwxrwxrwx 2 root wheel 512 Nov 11 2020 usr

Once you have verified that no upgrade kits are installed.  run 'update' at the CLI. 

GrpName>update

Follow any prompts and this should sync the passive CM to the active one. 

Then reboot the passive CM so it will sync with the primary again. 

Regards, 

Don 

No Events found!