Highlighted
myriad
Bronze

Updated 6100XVS to 7.1.2 now it won't initialize or join a pool

Jump to solution

Hi, I have two PS6100XVS and two PS6500 (one with 3TB and one with 2TB drives) The 6100XVS has 17 600x15k and 7 400xSSD drives. 

One Pool is setup with a 6100XVS and a 6500 2TB Drives, this pool HAD 6x firmware and was then upgraded to 7.1.2 It is currently working correctly as a hybrid drive/sumo system.

The other 6500 with 3TB drives was upgraded to 7.1.2 from 6.x firmware and then a couple weeks later we purchased a 6100XVS and upgraded the firmware to match 7.1.2 We are unable to add the 6100XVS to the 6500 pool - it just hangs on "initializing" No matter which way we approach the system it will not add in to the system. In testing, we've identified that if we downgraded everything to 6.x firmware we can introduce the 6100XVS into the 3TB6500. HOWEVER, that system is a remote production system and we are unable to take it down and to the crazy dance needed to evacuate/ downgrade/evacuate/introduce/upgrade. THEN the question is what happens to my existing 6100XVS that was upgraded while in operation? What happens if a drive fails, or if we need to re-purpose that system?

Having said all that when we tried the same operation with a 2.5" 6100XS everything went swimmingly, took the drives out of the 6100XS and installed to the 3.5" 6100 and was able to make the system introduce... so it appears that there's something in the 7.1.2 firmware that prevents the 6100 from using the 15kRPM drives in a hybrid system.

PLEASE HELP! I love the Equallogic gear, but this is wreaking havoc with my symmetrical dreams over here!

0 Kudos
43 Replies

RE: Updated 6100XVS to 7.1.2 now it won't initialize or join a pool

Jump to solution

Hello,

Given the complexity of your issue, if you have not done so already,  I would suggest you open a support case, so that diagnostic info can be gathered to figure out why you can't add in that new member.   There are no known issues that I'm aware of that would account for this issue.

The drive type should not matter at all when adding it to a new group, since the RAIDset is not yet configured, all the drives are "spares" at that point.

Social Media and Community Professional
#IWork4Dell
Get Support on Twitter - @dellcarespro

myriad
Bronze

Jump to solution

Even if the 3.5' 6100XVS is standalone it will never complete initialization. so I can't even use the system as a separate pool.

I don't have a support contract - so that's out.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Are you using Remote Setup Wizard or attaching to the serial port?

If you attach to the serial port on the active CM,  I would run "reset" again, then when it comes back, try this:

CLI>su exec sh

[tag:diskzero]

Then let that run for 10-15 mins or longer if you can.

Then CTRL-C to get back to #

[tag:exit]  to get back to CLI>

At CLI> run the setup program and try to make a standalone group.  Make sure that you are connected to the network on the ISCSI port, otherwise setup will fail.

#IWork4Dell

Tags (2)
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

BTW, make 100% sure you are connected to the correct member.

If you login and get a GrpName> prompt you probably are not, or it means that an old setup is there which would prevent you from adding it to another group.

#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
myriad
Bronze

Jump to solution

Ok, I did and got the below.

su exec sh

You are running a support command, which is normally restricted to PS Series Tec

hnical Support personnel. Do not use a support command without instruction from

Technical Support.

# diskzero

diskzero - polling thread 1 disabled.

diskzero - polling thread 4 disabled.

diskzero - polling thread 3 disabled.

diskzero - polling thread 2 disabled.

diskzero - polling thread 5 disabled.

diskzero - You have chosen to zero ALL of the drives on your system!

ALL EXISTING DATA will be DESTROYED!

Please verify by entering a 'Y', otherwise ^C to exit:  y

Failed to confirm zeroing of all drives, exiting.

diskzero - polling thread 1 enabled.

diskzero - polling thread 4 enabled.

diskzero - polling thread 5 enabled.

diskzero - polling thread 3 enabled.

diskzero - polling thread 2 enabled.

#

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

You need to do a capital Y.

#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
myriad
Bronze

Jump to solution

when logged into the EGM, drives 0-5 are status online, and 6-23 are status spare

0 Kudos
myriad
Bronze

Jump to solution

oh snap!

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

On the unit you are trying to add in?   That means there's a setup partially configured on that member.  You can't add it to another group in that case.

Did you do the "reset" command?

#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos