Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 20th, 2013 01:00

VSM not working after upgrade

Hi,

I upgraded VSM from 3.5.2 to 3.5.3 and then also upgraded vSphere from 5.1 to 5.5 and now the VSM plug-in is gone. On the console when I boot the VM I see this

26 Posts

January 3rd, 2014 00:00

So i called EqualLogic support, they advised to just re-install a new appliance by downloading the complete ISO (not the upgrade one).

Apparently something in the Java machine is broken,... so i just did as they advised as i had not so many scheduled jobs set in VSM.

You can also make a backup of the database and re-import it to your new installation.

26 Posts

December 23rd, 2013 07:00

I just tried the same upgrade today (except that i am upgrading from HIT 3.1.1.37).

Anyways, i get the exact same error message.

I tried to change the OVF settings of the VM Options in the VSphere Client, by clicking VMware Tools under OVF Environment Transport as the error message suggests to do so:

"Verify that VM settings are configured to provide OVF Environment via the VMWare Tools transport"

but that did not help at all.

I have logged a case with Dell, will update if i have any explanations from support.

110 Posts

January 2nd, 2014 09:00

Still having the issue, I can add that I have tried to power OFF and power ON via the vSphere Client and no go

9.3K Posts

January 2nd, 2014 11:00

In the vSphere client, when connected to your vCenter, go to administration and then the vCenter settings. Now select the option "vCenter Server Managed IP". Make sure a proper LAN IP is here for the vCenter. By default this is blank, but the VSM seems to read the vCenter's IP from that field. If your vCenter server has multiple IPs (in different subnets), put the vCenter's IP here that the VSM would be able to reach across the LAN.

110 Posts

Hi Dev Mgr, thanks for the tip, however I already have the IP of the vCenter server in that field. In fact I have the IP in the Managed IP Address field and vCenter FQDN in the vCenter Server Name field.

110 Posts

Maybe I should mention that I am using another port for the vCenter Server's https service now as before Under the upgrade from 5.1 to 5.5 it complined that the 443 port was in use so I typed in another port. So now when connecting to vCenter with the vSphere Client I need to specify the port  e.g. vcenter.domain.local:999

Maybe the problem is related to this? Maybe the VSM is trying to connect to vCenter Server on the default port 443?

110 Posts

January 9th, 2014 01:00

thanks, i did just this. I was actually considering going this way but I wasn't sure if the db backup was compatible with the new VSM version. Well, I can confirm that it is so all good now

thank you

39 Posts

May 22nd, 2014 20:00

btw, should the VSM ip address be configured at the management subnet or iSCSI subnet?

9.3K Posts

May 23rd, 2014 07:00

VSM needs to be able to talk to your vCenter and your Equallogic management IP. If you manage your Equallogic SAN in-band (on the iSCSI network), then you will want to add a 2nd virtual NIC and give this 2nd NIC an IP on your iSCSI subnet. Instructions are in the manual. If your Equallogic is set up for out-of-band management (typically on your regular network or on a management network), and your vCenter is also on this same network, then VSM just needs 1 IP on that network.

No Events found!