Highlighted
2 Bronze

VSM support for vSphere 6.7?

Hi, is there any release date for VSM with support for vSphere 6.7? 

0 Kudos
36 Replies
Highlighted
1 Copper

Re: VSM support for vSphere 6.7?

Also, MEM for esxi6.7.....

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello,

I'm waiting to hear back on MEM compatibility with 6.7.

Regards,

Don

Social Media and Community Professional
#IWork4Dell
Get Support on Twitter - @dellcarespro

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello,

vSphere v6.7 will be supported with VSM v5.0.  Which is due out later this year.  No specific date has been announced.

Regards,

Don

Social Media and Community Professional
#IWork4Dell
Get Support on Twitter - @dellcarespro

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Is there any updated guidance on when VSM will support vCenter 6.7?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Beryllium

Hello,

Not at this time, there has been no announcement for the next release of VSM to support vSphere v6.7.

Sorry.

Regards,

Don

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Four months later.... crickets.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

and another month

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

any news?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Beryllium

Hello, 

I can't provide release information but both VSM and MEM are still in development. 

Regards, 

Don 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

thanks for update!

it seems, Dell is trying to "push" customers to other storage systems bcs they neglect customers with valid support and warranty conditions of eql storages.

now we have 6 months of vsphere 6.7 and no date available for the release of the matching vsm and mem. I know, that the developers have access to pre release versions of vsphere. so it's a bad sign to all eql customers.

Highlighted
3 Argentum

vSphere 6.7 was released in April and vSphere 6.7 Update 1 was released last week.

Anyone from Dell can let us know if there is a plan to release a VSM release compatible with vSphere 6.7 in the next few days, even if in beta?

This is a blocking issue for a vSphere 6.7 installation.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Beryllium

Hello, 

Yes a version of VSM compatible with v6.7 is coming but not within your timeframe.   No beta is going to be released.

Regards, 

Don 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Can you at least let us know if the VSM version compatible with vSphere 6.7 is going to be available in the next few weeks or if we need to wait months?

The lack of any roadmap is really frustrating.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Beryllium

Hello, 

Unfortunately, I cannot discuss on an open forum product release info that hasn't already been made public. 

I would suggest you contact your sales representative and with an NDA in place they can discuss the current product roadmap info with you. 

Regards, 

Don 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Why can't you discuss it on an open forum? Why can't Dell make the "Release date" a public piece of information.

All, we the people, we the customers want is a date or some sort of indication of when we can expect to be able to upgrade.

We have paid hundreds of thousands of dollars for our Equallogic gear and we deserve to know when we will be able to run 6.7. Like other vendors already can....

May of us don't care about the "full product roadmap". I mean unless of course that roadmap kills off the Equallogic line.....

Highlighted
3 Argentum

The EQL/PS platform is indeed going away.  At some point this year (2018) they are supposed to stop selling them; although last I checked you could still purchase them.  This should have been communicated to you via your rep. 

However, I do think DELL needs to realize that there are somewhere around ~80,000 customers having around ~120,000 PS arrays deployed in North America alone.  I think their commitment to the platform during the next ~5 years (for valid support contracts) needs to be restated, and development efforts should continue by making improvements and enhancing capabilities in the firmware as much as possible during that time frame.

Regarding vSphere 6.7, I will say that even Compellent/SC doesn't have integrations supporting 6.7 yet, but it would be nice to have soon.  I suspect that since it will likely need to be HTML5 based, it is quite a re-write from the older version, which is taking a while.

Also on an unrelated note, it was quite dis-satisfying to learn of the fate of FluidFS, and it was very shady the way that went down all of a sudden.  We were quite invested w/ both FS8600 and FS7610, and to learn that one day, without any advance notice, the product is just.. gone.  Poof!  We can't even buy one to add on to a new SC we were looking to purchase.

The Dell Storage portfolio became redundant and complicated by the EMC merger with too many products competing within the same range, and it still seems they are trying to figure out what products will survive.

Highlighted
1 Copper

Any updates on VSM support for Vsphere 6.7 U1?  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Beryllium

Hello, 

No announced release date as of yet.  it's still in development. 

Regards, 

Don 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

This is so frustrating, any news?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Beryllium

Hello, 

I can totally appreciate your frustration. 

Are you planning on using VVOLs?   As that is the only major feature not available for v6.7 with EQL storage. 

Snapshots and replication can be scheduled via the Group Manager.  

Regards,

Don 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Creeping up on a year since this thread was started... Is there any timeline for VSM 5.0? It sure would be nice to have and use. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Hi Don,

Yes, VVOLs are precisely what we're after. Plus all the other integration features that VSM provides (and while we're on the topic, MEM for host multi-pathing would be great too).

Without these integration features we might as well have saved ourselves a load of cash and purchased Synology or similar.

Regards,

Greg

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Any update on availability...We been waiting for this to perform our upgrade to 6.7 U1

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Beryllium

Hello, 

No release date has been announced yet.  

Sorry. 

Regards,

Don

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Beryllium

Hello all, 

VSM v5.0 is now available on the Equallogic support site. 

Required PS Series firmware: 9.1 and higher

Required VMware Version
  • VMware® vCenter Server™6.0, 6.5U2, 6.7
  • VMware® ESX™ Server 6.0, 6.5U2, 6.7
VMware vSphere Storage APIs for Storage Awareness (VASA)
  • Provider name: Dell EqualLogic VASA Provider
  • Provider version:
    • VASA 1.0: 1.5.5
    • VASA 2.0: 2.5.5
0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I just installed on my 6.5 Build 12863991, I dont see it on the Web Client...Anything Special I need to do....Do it support 6.7 U1?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Beryllium

Hello, 

Yes that's supported.  Try logging out and back in again.  That's a common issue when you first install it. 

Regards,

Don

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I already try to log off, log back in, un-register the VSM and let it register again... No luck!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Beryllium

Hello, 

Make sure the Management IP address is set in VCS. It's in the server settings.   If you are using DNS names for VCS and VSM make sure everything resolves by and and reverse IP. 

Once that's all confirmed I would suggest restarting VCS and VSM. 

If that still doesn't work I would suggest you open a support case with Dell. 

Regards, 

Don 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I will open a ticket... Already did everything that you suggested....disappointment!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Just to be clear, I see the VSM under the Flash Client, but not available under the HTML5 Client!

For me this version was suppose to support full HTML 5?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Beryllium

Hello,

HTML5 is not yet supported.  Only the Flash version as before.

HTML5 isn't expected until the next release of VSM to align with next version of ESXi.

Regards,

Don

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Wow ! I seen the same with VSM4.7 under my vSphere 6.5 - visible in flash version and completely obsolete in HTML5 ! So the vSphere VCSA 6.0 had only flash interface, than 6.5 have flash and HTML5, and If I'm right 6.7 have only HTML5 interface (flash depricated). The answer about compatibility with vSphere 6.7 Flash Only "till next VSM release" is frustrating.... >Agent Smith: tell me mr.anderson what good is a phone call if you aren't able to speak?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

This thread makes me glad this PS6210 we have was acquired by buying a company, I'd be **bleep** if I had actually spent money on it.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Well I must say there’s lack of joy on this forum. I’ve deployed this in a production environment with vCenter 6.7U2 a few days after the release, and I have to say it works like a charm. Like everyone posting here, the deployment was delayed massively awaiting vSphere 6.7 support, but now we have it and it’s solid as a rock. My preference is for something that does the job properly over something that looks good in an admin console. Well done, and thanks very much to Don for his persistence in the face of adversity and dissatisfaction.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Beryllium

Thank you!

That is very kind of you to say.  I appreciate it very much.  I also appreciate the frustration of those waiting for it.

Kind regards,

Don

0 Kudos