Rular
1 Nickel

Re: VSM support for vSphere 6.7?

thanks for update!

it seems, Dell is trying to "push" customers to other storage systems bcs they neglect customers with valid support and warranty conditions of eql storages.

now we have 6 months of vsphere 6.7 and no date available for the release of the matching vsm and mem. I know, that the developers have access to pre release versions of vsphere. so it's a bad sign to all eql customers.

Tags (1)
pzero
2 Iron

vSphere 6.7 was released in April and vSphere 6.7 Update 1 was released last week.

Anyone from Dell can let us know if there is a plan to release a VSM release compatible with vSphere 6.7 in the next few days, even if in beta?

This is a blocking issue for a vSphere 6.7 installation.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
dwilliam62
3 Zinc

Hello, 

Yes a version of VSM compatible with v6.7 is coming but not within your timeframe.   No beta is going to be released.

Regards, 

Don 

0 Kudos
pzero
2 Iron

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Can you at least let us know if the VSM version compatible with vSphere 6.7 is going to be available in the next few weeks or if we need to wait months?

The lack of any roadmap is really frustrating.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
dwilliam62
3 Zinc

Hello, 

Unfortunately, I cannot discuss on an open forum product release info that hasn't already been made public. 

I would suggest you contact your sales representative and with an NDA in place they can discuss the current product roadmap info with you. 

Regards, 

Don 

0 Kudos
lethallynx1337
1 Copper

Why can't you discuss it on an open forum? Why can't Dell make the "Release date" a public piece of information.

All, we the people, we the customers want is a date or some sort of indication of when we can expect to be able to upgrade.

We have paid hundreds of thousands of dollars for our Equallogic gear and we deserve to know when we will be able to run 6.7. Like other vendors already can....

May of us don't care about the "full product roadmap". I mean unless of course that roadmap kills off the Equallogic line.....

0 Kudos
bealdrid2
2 Bronze

The EQL/PS platform is indeed going away.  At some point this year (2018) they are supposed to stop selling them; although last I checked you could still purchase them.  This should have been communicated to you via your rep. 

However, I do think DELL needs to realize that there are somewhere around ~80,000 customers having around ~120,000 PS arrays deployed in North America alone.  I think their commitment to the platform during the next ~5 years (for valid support contracts) needs to be restated, and development efforts should continue by making improvements and enhancing capabilities in the firmware as much as possible during that time frame.

Regarding vSphere 6.7, I will say that even Compellent/SC doesn't have integrations supporting 6.7 yet, but it would be nice to have soon.  I suspect that since it will likely need to be HTML5 based, it is quite a re-write from the older version, which is taking a while.

Also on an unrelated note, it was quite dis-satisfying to learn of the fate of FluidFS, and it was very shady the way that went down all of a sudden.  We were quite invested w/ both FS8600 and FS7610, and to learn that one day, without any advance notice, the product is just.. gone.  Poof!  We can't even buy one to add on to a new SC we were looking to purchase.

The Dell Storage portfolio became redundant and complicated by the EMC merger with too many products competing within the same range, and it still seems they are trying to figure out what products will survive.

Tom Dubovich
1 Copper

Any updates on VSM support for Vsphere 6.7 U1?  

0 Kudos
dwilliam62
3 Zinc

Hello, 

No announced release date as of yet.  it's still in development. 

Regards, 

Don 

0 Kudos
Parh
1 Copper

This is so frustrating, any news?
0 Kudos