Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

June 4th, 2012 15:00

powering on SAN after power outage

having a scenario where after a power outage the our SAN is not connecting back to the 2 node hyper-v cluster. Storage is connected to the 2 hosts with iscsi.

for example

if the power is lost. and the ups battery runs out. the SAN will be powered off. Along with the Dell Switch, HV01 and HV02 (dell servers)

hopefully the servers were shut down clean. the switch and SAN most likely just got powered off abruptly.

when power is restored. > the SAN , switch and 2 nodes will be powered back on.

it seems like the iscsi is not reconnecting . is it possible the host servers are booting faster than the SAN? how fast should the SAN boot up>

what else might cause the VMs to show as not available / iscsi software not reconnecting.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 4th, 2012 16:00

If you reboot the servers and it's all fine then yes, it was likely the servers were up before the array.  I see that with ESX.  You can use APC intelligent power strips to stage the power up sequence.  

1 Message

July 24th, 2012 02:00

You might also have to make sure that the switches connecting the SAN and host machines are operational - I had a slight issue with PowerConnect 6024 running through a config process and then re-booting after they had already re-started once. This was fixed after I performed a firmware upgrade, but before that, I would see some probelms with the connection. Unfortunately, the only way I realised this was when I was watching the lights on the switch and could see that it was going back through the start-up after having already done it.

No Events found!