Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

51 Posts

June 8th, 2018 06:00

run a "show" command remotely against an Equallogic

We have several Equallogic that are in an extremely secure environment. Monthly we need to generate a report showing that the firmware of each member is not changing or being altered. Right now, that is a manual process which requires a lot of paperwork. I need a way to run a "show member" command, or similar, that shows the current firmware installed. That output would be written to a file which is actively monitored by another software package for changes. This would allow the entire process to be automated and eliminate a lot of monthly paperwork. I have tried using plink but no matter what, it doesn't seem plink interfaces with the Equallogic correctly as ever command returns similar errors like "Unsupported command: show member". If possible, we need the simplest way to do this, preferably without installing additional software, as that also requires lots of paperwork since that additional software will need to be monitored for changes and security patches. 

Anyone know a simple way to run a "show" command against an Equallogic?

1 Rookie

• 

1.5K Posts

June 8th, 2018 10:00

Hello,

I'm not sure how plink works so I can't help you there.  I suspect your issue is that since you first have to get logged into the shell before you can run the command.  It's not a standalone "show" command that can be run directly.

On the EQL support site you can download PERL/Python scripts that give you the basic pieces allowing you to login, run commands, etc..   It's called "Host Scripting Tools"

Additionally if you have SANHQ installed, you can run a report from there which would include the that information.  I believe the reports can be exported to CSV as well.

Additionally if PLINK supports SNMP you could pull the firmware version information that way.  The MIBs are located on the support site with the firmware downloads.

Regards,

Don

51 Posts

July 16th, 2018 07:00

PLINK is part of the putty suite which is already installed on the server    I downloaded the host scripting tools but am unable to get them to work. Because of some extreme regulations, what software I can install is very limited. Right now, the server already has Python 3.5 installed from https://www.python.org/downloads/. I can't seem to get it to work to execute a simple command against our Equallogics though. No matter what I try, I get a syntax error. I've tried several different variants but nothing seems to work.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Python36-32>python EqlCliExec.py -t -g groupipaddress -a grpadmin -p password show member
File "EqlCliExec.py", line 35
example: echo "pass" | %(pn)s -g psg_group -a grpadmin grpparams show""" % { "pn" : sys.argv[0] }
^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

There has got to be a way to execute a simple command from a windows server without installing a whole bunch of third party software. 

1 Rookie

• 

1.5K Posts

July 17th, 2018 10:00

Hello,

Do you also have the older version of Python installed?   Some of the sample Python scripts provided with the scripting tools should work fine.

Regards,

Don

No Events found!