Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 22nd, 2014 20:00

vCenter could not connect to the VSM server

I have SanHQ and HIT running well on vSphere 4.1. After upgrading to vSphere 5.5 and HIT to VSM 4, my new vCenter could not connect to the VSM server at all.

1. Should VSM ip address be configured on the management or iSCSI network?

2. I have 2 vCenters at HQ and DC respectively. In this case, do I need to install 2 VSM, each at each site? Note that while my management and VM networks at both sites are all connected thru VPN, the iSCSI networks are isolated.

3. Is it possible to deploy both VSM 3.5 and 4 so that both vmware Web Client and VI Client have access to VSM features?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 27th, 2014 08:00

VSM does not work with Linked mode vCenters so that one VSM would be able to access two vCenters.

You will need to deploy two VSMs.

You can't run both VSM 3.5.x and 4.0.x at the same time.  

39 Posts

May 25th, 2014 22:00

I have EQL at 2 locations with vCenter link mode enabled. While their management IP network are linked, their iSCSI network are isolated according to the best practice. In this case, I will need to deploy VSM at both location right? Or can a single VSM manage both? And is it possible to deploy both 3.5.3 and 4 so that I have VSM in both Web and VI Clients?

I need to know if the VSM ip address be deployed on the management or iSCSI network? And the VSM login is using EQL or vCenter credential? These are not mentioned in the user guide, so please have these critical missing info added in the next revision.

39 Posts

May 27th, 2014 19:00

Since I need to deploy 2 VSMs, can't I deploy 3.5.x at one site and 4.0.x at the other site since both are independent?

Moreover, the deployment of VSM 3.5.x works on vSphere 5.5 just fine. However, it no longer works after upgraded to 4.0.x. In the web client, what is the Group IP of EQL? Is it iSCSI or Management network? If this is iSCSI network, does this mean that VSM 4.0.x IP address need to be also on the iSCSI in order to communicate with EQL? (Since iSCSI and Management networks are isolated)

39 Posts

May 27th, 2014 19:00

btw, I have raise this issue to EQL support team but until now, there is no response from them. :(

39 Posts

May 27th, 2014 20:00

<ADMIN NOTE: Image containing Service tag removed as per privacy policy>

Is there anyone in Dell managing the support case raise from the customer portal? This forum is more responsive.

39 Posts

May 29th, 2014 04:00

If I have deleted the VSM VM without unregister it from the vCenter, how do I manually remove it from the vCenter?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 29th, 2014 08:00

To delete it, right mouse over the VM when powered off and delete it.

re: 3.5.x and 4.0. in different vCenters.  Absolutely.  In my lab my 4.1, 5.0 environments runs 3.5.3 and the 5.1/5.5 run VSM 4.0.  

39 Posts

May 29th, 2014 19:00

I tried that previously and found that the VSM icon is still in vCenter:

This mean it has to be properly unregistered first, isn't it?

But since I have already removed the VM, is there anyway to unregister it manually?

Cause I'm not sure if my new deployment could not connect issue is related to improperly removal or there is something wrong with the configuration. I have no issue getting 3.5.x to work, but not 4.0.x. Dell support is completely silent about this.

No Events found!