RE: vSphere 6, VVOL and Unmap

Hi Patrick,

Thanks. If the storage receives the UNMAP command EQL will respond to it on a supported volume.

Did you also see the limitations to it in that article?

=========================================================================

it’s not perfect, there are many cases where this will not work:

◾unmap of deleted blocks with in VMFS (i.e vmdk deletion, swap file deletion etc), for this you can use the EMC VSI plugin.

◾Smaller unmap granularity. With existing VMFS version, the minimum unmap granularity is 1MB.

◾Automatic UNMAP for support for windows version less than Windows 8 / server 2012 (no linux support)

◾the device at the VM level (the drive) must be configured as “thin”, not “eager zeroed thick” or “lazy zeroed thick”

==============================================================================

So if you delete a VM or VMDK, or storage vMotion it to another Datastore, this new feature won't reclaim that space.  So the need for the CLI UNMAP process remains.

There also remains a larger issue IMO about using thin provisioned VMDKs.  A very real impact in write performance compared to eager zero'd VMDKs.   There are extra commands required for growing TP VMDKs and then zeroing out the blocks before the data can be written to it.   The is seen especially when doing a storage vMotion or deploy from template.    This is another of the advantages of VVOLs by the way.

Don

Social Media and Community Professional
#IWork4Dell
Get Support on Twitter - @dellcarespro

0 Kudos
phouten
1 Nickel

Hi Donald,

Is there already any news on implementing the unmap option from the guest os (Windows 2012R2)?

Kind regards,

Patrick

0 Kudos

Hello Patrick,

Not as of yet.  There is a joint effort between Dell and VMware to resolve how UNMAP is being handled with VVOLs for all OS's that support it, not just Windows 2012R2.

Here's some info on how UNMAP is being handled by VMware.

blogs.vmware.com/.../vsphere-virtual-volumes-interoperability-vaai-apis-vs-vvols

KB article: How Virtual Volumes and UNMAP primitive interact?

kb.vmware.com/.../search.do;cmd=displayKC&externalId=2112333

To support UNMAP automatically, the VMs that run in VVols environment must be of hardware version 11 or above.

Regards,

Don

#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
phouten
1 Nickel

Hi Donald,

We are using windows 2012R2 and HW version 11... I would really like if this option become available soon :-)

Is there a document from Dell which explaines all VVOL features that are available or not for the Equallogic users? (Such document was available for the VAAI option)

Kind regards,

Patrick van Houten

0 Kudos
phouten
1 Nickel

Hi Donald,

Any update on the currently available options in VVOL?

Kind regards,

Patrick

0 Kudos

Hello Patrick,

Sorry, but I have not found anything like that.  UNMAP is the only feature I am aware of that's not enabled. A future version of EQL firmware is expected to re-enable this feature.

Regards,

Don

#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos

Hello,

The next major version of Dell PS Series SAN will support UNMAP on VVOLs.  

Regards,

Don

#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
bhwong1
1 Nickel

Hi Donald,

May I know which versions now support unmap?

0 Kudos
dwilliam62
3 Zinc

Hello,

EQL FW v10.x supports UNMAP with VVOLs.

Regards,

Don

0 Kudos