blayne1
1 Copper

Re: Ask The Expert: Connectrix FOS 7.3 – Fabric Vision Proactive Capabilities

Continuing with Mr. Naylor's "competitive" discussion between legacy Brocade capabilities and the latest Fabric Vision technology features, I would like to focus on the new Fabric Performance Impact (FPI) Monitoring capability introduced in Fabric OS v7.3 as an enhancement to MAPS.  Prior to FPI monitoring, Brocade already provided the industry's best capability to detect devices exhibiting high levels of latency, also known as a "slow drain device" or "SDD".  This capability was part of the Bottleneck Monitoring feature (often referred to as Bottleneck Detection or BD), a hardware-integrated feature first released in FOS v6.3 and enhanced over the years since. 

Many customers have taken advantage of BD to help identify sources of latency and resulting bottlenecks in their SANs.  These conditions, if left unresolved, can result in serious performance impacts on applications.  And these impacts are not isolated to just those devices communicating with the offending slow drain device - they can impact any application flow that happens to be sharing common paths (ISLs) in the fabric with flows to/from the SDD.

However, even with the capability that BD provides, Brocade realized we could do better.  First, we wanted to even further simplify the configuration of SDD detection.  Next, we wanted to ensure that when these conditions are detected, it is very clear to the SAN administrator that there is a serious problem that needs to be addressed, and precisely which device is causing the problem.  And finally, we wanted to provide a way to detect the different types of device latency conditions that can manifest in a FC SAN, without forcing the SAN Admin to pick one type of detection over another.

With these objectives in mind, Brocade introduced FPI Monitoring in MAPS in FOS v7.3.  FPI is fully integrated into MAPS, meaning it is part of the default MAPS policies provided for all users.  And not only did we simplify the configuration compared to legacy Bottleneck Monitoring, we made it so that there is no configuration at all.  None.  Zip. Zilch.  It is turned on automatically as part of enabling MAPS on a switch and that's it.

How did we do this?  Well, based on our years of collaboration with customers managing the largest, most complex data centers in the world, combined with having the most advanced FC ASICs in the industry, we have designed a capability that can simultaneously monitor for different types of SDD conditions on every device port in our Gen 5 FC switches all the time.  FPI actually looks at different thresholds of device latency conditions over different time intervals, allowing it to detect not only sudden, temporary, severe latency conditions, but also lower level but sustained latency conditions.  And it has the ability to predict when an SDD device is causing an impact that may soon cause frames to be dropped due to timeout conditions.  And of course, any alerts issued by FPI monitoring from one of our switches is presented in easy to read, highly visible dashboards in our CMCNE management software so the SAN Admin knows when to take action to avoid a major incident.

Apologies for such a lengthy post, but FPI monitoring is one of the many new features and enhancements to Fabric Vision that we're really excited about - and customers that we've spoken to are excited.as well.  This capability certainly raises the bar for monitoring of conditions that can impact your applications' performance in a FC SAN.

BillC2
1 Nickel

Hi Michelle and Lakaspalay,

To my knowledge this is our first ever ATE for a Connectrix B-Series product.  It appears to be well received so maybe in the near future an ATE for CMCNE/BNA would be great to have!

Michelle you are correct, EMC does not have any plans to support CMCNE on a Linux platform.   Sorry.

0 Kudos
lakaspalay
1 Nickel

But we can use our CMCNE license to have a BNA in linux platform? Is this supported by EMC.

The reason to shift our san management platform to linux is that CMCNE is late to update and java client release updates more often. Im currently running in CMCNE 11.x and hoping the 12.x version supports the latest java client updates.

0 Kudos
BillC2
1 Nickel

Hi Lakaspalay

This session is focused around Fabric Vision so I’d prefer not to go down a CMCNE discussion path. That being said, I have no problem taking this subject offline to try and resolve your issue.

0 Kudos
StefanNett
1 Nickel

Hi,

Are there any e-lerning courses around this topic?

Thanks,

Stefan

0 Kudos
hughesm1
1 Copper

Hi Stefan,

We do offer a Brocade Fabric ResiliencyFR100 WBT course which is free of charge, you can use your My.Brocade.com login to register and complete this class.

Please let me know if you need any more information or assistance.

Thanks,

Michelle

0 Kudos
StefanNett
1 Nickel

Hi Michelle,

Thank you very much for your help!Brocade.PNG.png

With your guidance I found the course with only a few clicks.

Best wishes,

Stefan

sddc_guy
2 Iron

is scom integration still in fabric vision ?

0 Kudos
billsleck
1 Copper

SCOM is a plug-in for CMCNE,  it does report back some of the suite of Fabric Vision functions.

The SCOM console displays the following information:

◆ Fabric and switch details

◆ End-to-end monitor statistics

◆ Events from the Management application when Critical events

for switches in the fabric trigger CallHome in the Management

application

0 Kudos
billsleck
1 Copper

I’ve attached the Brocade SCOM Solution Brief.

Bill Sleck | Corp. Systems Engineer

Field Enablement - Global Connectrix Team

EMC Core Technologies

M: +1 612.875.6809

<http://www.emcworld.com/index.htm?cid=ew15_promo_signature>

Sent: Tuesday, April 07, 2015 6:07 PM

To: <jive-410298906-2uoo-2-it26@emc-ecn.hosted.jivesoftware.com>

Subject: Re: - Ask The Expert: Connectrix FOS 7.3 – Fabric Vision Proactive Capabilities

SCOM is a plug-in for CMCNE, it does report back some of the suite of Fabric Vision functions.

The SCOM console displays the following information:

◆ Fabric and switch details

◆ End-to-end monitor statistics

◆ Events from the Management application when Critical events

for switches in the fabric trigger CallHome in the Management

application

Sent from my iPhone

Bill Sleck

612-875-6809