mvvasa
1 Copper

Re: Ask The Expert: Redefine with EMC Data Protection

Hi, thanks for your interest in Secure Multi-tenancy! In DDOS 5.5, the number of MTrees remain the same as earlier releases. Depending on the use case, you have upto 99 MTrees to be used on a DD990 (as an example). Please refer to the DDOS Admin Guide for model specific MTree limits and focus on both Active and Configurable Mtrees.

0 Kudos
BARCOLSI
1 Nickel

Hi

This is what i want to avoid, as this requires the user to take steps to get backed up.

I would like him to be backed up whenever he is connecting to the internet - even at night.

As v7 allows a near continuous window this is possible now.

Only way I see to avoid the Firewall is to ise a Proxy on the DMZ

0 Kudos
AlexAlmeida1
1 Nickel

Understood. For this scenario where you have customers that you do not want to VPN in for backup. I would suggest that you look at our Mozy Cloud Backup Option that is an optional add-on to our Data Protection Suite offering that includes Avamar.

0 Kudos
BARCOLSI
1 Nickel

Problem with Mozy

It's an extra cost for something i should already have

Second problem Mozy is not shown in DPA reports

We require a Company wide success/failure report for backup

0 Kudos
krismeule
1 Copper

Hi Barcolsi,

From your issues list, what's the most pressing: integration with DPA or cost.  The extra cost can be offset with extra functionality (you get backup, sync, versioning, restore anywhere etc).

0 Kudos
BARCOLSI
1 Nickel

Hi,

As I am trying to get a correct answer from EMC since a while I a little bit tired of hearing to buy another software.

I have put out the question of being able to backup traveling clients without VPN because we need it.

Next to this backup of backup traveling clients we have sites without an Avamar that we are backing up over our Enterprise WAN.

Avamar is very good at using this WAN. So good, it makes it impossible to do anything else over this network (and no bringing down the speed of all Avamar clients is not a solution). We need to find a solution for them too.

All Client backups must be done in the same way.

Solution would be to go over the internet to backup (different path) to an “Cloud Avamar Device”

Using Mozy is not a good option because cost, manageability with limited resources and Reporting :

We are not talking about 10 clients and we have a BRS license (Ava, NW, DPA) which already covers these clients

This would involve a complete project to move clients to Mozy

We can keep using the Avamars only because because of the ease of useof Avamar.

We can manage all backups (NW and Ava) WW by ourselves and still have time left to do storage VMAX, 7 VNX, 10 VNXe and manage the Blade enclosures and Virtual Environment.

Adding a 3000+ project to move to Mozy is not an Option, splitting up clients so some clients have Avamar and other would have Mozy is an operational nightmare.

We have a strategy to manage our data and Mozy does not fit in because it is not integrated with DPA

FYI For all our EMC products we have been following White papers and Best Practices from EMC.

And lastly stating “You don’t need this, but we have something else/different” was a statement we used to hear from IBM, not from EMC.

In the end I just want a straight answer from EMC on this:

1/ We cannot do this because of Technical Reasons and why

2/ We cannot do this because of Financial Reason

3/ We will be doing this asap – preferred

4/ We will be doing this in version X - Roadmap

5/ We will be doing this but no idea when

6/ We can do this follow White Paper X

Would be good if I get one of the above answers by EMCWorld

As I know other vendors allow this way of working I really expected EMC to have this already or on roadmap.

How will you be backing up Smart Phones and PAD’s in the future? Force them to use Mozy? Your pushing your clients to check the market like this.

Greetz

Luc

0 Kudos
AlexAlmeida1
1 Nickel

Luc,

Thank you very much for your patience and further information on what you require. Since my initial reply to you. I took the time to go back and have some discussions with our Product Management and Development Teams. I believe that we have a solution that will meet your needs with Avamar for connecting clients WITHOUT the need for a VPN connection.

Here is the link to a tech note on the EMC Support Site that walks you through the configuration details that is required to enable this use case: https://support.emc.com/docu49807_Avamar-Client-Connection-Options-Without-a-VPN-Technical-Note.pdf?...

I would encourage you to walk through this document and what you plan to do with your EMC Account SE this way we can make sure we provide you the best support during each step.

Please review this tech note in detail and let me know if this helps address what you were looking for.

Thanks,

Alex

0 Kudos
BARCOLSI
1 Nickel

Hi,

I have seen this Document already.

I talked about this document already with my SE

Please note following on Page 3

Note: The approaches in this technical note apply to clients that are likely to have static

connections. In environments where no VPN is available and clients are likely to connect

through a different provider and have frequently changing IP addresses, use Mozy®.

This is exactly the environment I want to use it in.

Using Mozy is not my intention for now.

To do this kind of setup I’m sure we need to go through what we still call a Proxy.

Same as we setup Exchange to be available to laptops, pad’s and smartphones now.

Greetz

Luc

0 Kudos
RobertoAraujo1
3 Argentium

Great conversation, everyone! Help us promote the debate. Please, share the following tweet:

Going on NOW! Ask The Expert: Redefine with EMC Data Protection. http://bit.ly/1oyCeKg 4/3 - 4/11 #EMCATE

Thanks!

0 Kudos
BARCOLSI
1 Nickel

No moree answers from EMC on this question?

0 Kudos