Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Community Manager

• 

4.9K Posts

November 19th, 2017 17:00

Ask The Expert: The best in hyper-converged gets even better

Software-defined infrastructure is changing the way data services are delivered making organizations more efficient and agile, while reducing costs. But software does not act alone; it must work in concert with the hardware and as workloads scale and change over time, greater performance and reliability is being demanded as HCI moves into core data center and is relied on to run a wider range of applications and workloads.

Join our experts and find out about the latest innovations from Dell EMC to take the industry’s #1 hyper-converged portfolio to the next level with #NextGenHCI, and what makes Dell EMC HCI the ideal foundation for software-defined data center initiatives from the edge to the core to the cloud.

The best in hyper-converged just got better. | Dell EMC US

capture-20171207-095025.png

This discussion takes place from December 4 - 15th.

Meet Your Expert:

Michael Gordon Profile picture.jpg

Michael Gordon

Consultant Product Manager

Michael is a consultant product manager with the Dell EMC VxRail team and focuses on the VxRail hardware platforms.  He has more than 20 years of experience in high tech, specifically storage systems, VMware infrastructure, HCI and Hybrid Cloud platforms. Michael collaborates with customers to identify requirements and works closely with the engineering teams to deliver best in class products.

Shannon Champion.png

Shannon Champion

Consultant, Product Marketing

Shannon Champion is a Product Marketing Manager for VxRail Hyper-Converged Appliances. She has worked in the technology industry for over 16 years, with global experience in engineering, supply chain, channel partners, and marketing.

JohnMannix_headshot_152x152.jpg

John Mannix

Consultant, Product Marketing

John Mannix is a product marketing manager in the Converged Platforms and Solutions Division at Dell EMC and manages product and field marketing initiatives for hyperconverged solutions. He has over 20 years of experience in information technology and marketing, and was previously with Gemalto, Y&R, HyPerformix.

Steve.jpg

Steven Scott

Senior Consultant, Product Marketing

Steve is passionate about leveraging technology to create solutions that simplify customer’s lives.  A 20 year Dell veteran with responsibilities spanning IT Operations, Marketing and Product Management, he is currently the Director of Product Management  for XC Series - an innovative hyper-converged infrastructure appliance jointly developed by Dell EMC and Nutanix.  He holds an MBA from the McCombs School of Business at UT Austin.

Chad Sakac: HCI on 14th Generation PowerEdge

Community Manager

• 

4.9K Posts

December 4th, 2017 01:00

This Ask The Expert event is open now! Please ask any of your questions about "NextGen HCI":)

December 6th, 2017 12:00

What will happen with the G series on the new VxRail Appliances 14th gen?

15 Posts

December 6th, 2017 12:00

Hi! And thank you for being first to ask a question. This quarter we are launching VxRail for the existing 13th generation PowerEdge servers  - which is VxRail E/P/V/S Series. New form factors of VxRail, including G Series, on the latest PowerEdge servers will be coming later.

60 Posts

December 6th, 2017 14:00

Hi,

With regard to VxRail stretched cluster is there any short term plans to add new topologies? Traffic between the Data Sites must be Layer 2. Is there any plans for Layer 3. Coming across this where VxRail Stretch and NSX are being POC'd at the same time. VMware team looking for for layer 3 to showcase NSX fully. vSAN allows the topology but not VxRail currently. At least according to the guide https://www.emc.com/collateral/white-papers/h15275-vxrail-planning-guide-virtual-san-stretched-cluster.pdf

Can you help clarify the short term plans?

Thanks

Victor

60 Posts

December 6th, 2017 14:00

Hi,

I have another VxRail Stretched Cluster query around feature support.

In vSAN 6.5 there is a capability that vSAN Data Site to External Witness traffic vSAN 6.5 can have separation of witness traffic type on separate VMkernel interface for Stretched Clusters. This routable and layer 3.

vSAN Data Site to External Witness traffic vSAN 6.5 can have separation of witness traffic type on separate VMkernel interface for Stretched Clusters. This routable and layer 3.

https://storagehub.vmware.com/export_to_pdf/vsan-stretched-cluster-2-node-guide (section 2.5)

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/6.5/com.vmware.vsphere.virtualsan.doc/GUID-03204C22-C069-4A18-AD96-26E1E1155D21.html

Is this traffic separation supported in VxRAIL 4.5 builds?

Thanks

Victor

39 Posts

December 7th, 2017 09:00

Victor,

Thanks for your question.  The configurations that you are inquiring about are non-standard configurations.  I recommend that you work with your Dell EMC account team and submit an RPQ with the details of your configuration.  Engineering and product management will review the RPQ and provide you a response.

Thanks,

Mike

60 Posts

December 7th, 2017 10:00

Thanks for getting back Mike. Ok understood.

I will talk to the team.

Thanks

Victor

Sent from my iPhone

December 10th, 2017 18:00

HI, Experts

I'm pre-sales engineer in Japan.

My main products are VxRail, vSAN Ready Nodes and XC.

14G model are very power full and easy management, I think.

Now my trouble is competition with Nutanix and HPE Simplivity.

System Manager and partner SE likes the advanced features and characteristic spec.

But VxRail and vSRN has not those feature and spec more than Nutanix/Simplivity.

How can I gain their interest?

I want to sell VxRail adn vSRN more, please let me know your idea for technical talk.

Regards.

15 Posts

December 11th, 2017 03:00

Hi Ishitsuka-san, there are several advantages to vSAN architecture versus VSA approach, as well as to VxRail as the only turnkey HCI appliance co-engineered with VMware for the most seamless integration. And now with the power and flexibility of the latest PowerEdge servers, which have been optimized for HCI (learn more at www.dellemc.com/HCI). As a partner, you have access to pre-sales information at Enablement Center vxrail.is/everything. If you’d like to reach out to me separately with specifics, I’d be happy to help further (shannon.champion@dell.com).

Community Manager

• 

4.9K Posts

December 17th, 2017 16:00

Thank you to all the experts and participants. This Ask the Expert event ended with total 3,286 page views (great!).

HCI is constantly evolving. Please keep your eyes on the evolution and future Ask The Expert events

No Events found!