Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 24th, 2014 14:00

Ask the Expert: Advanced Snapshots on VNX

YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED ON THESE ATE EVENTS...

Ask the Expert: Proactive activities to move toward five 9's availability on CLARiiON / VNX

Ask the Expert: VMware and VNX Integration Best Practices

https://community.emc.com/thread/168082

Welcome to this EMC Support Community Ask the Expert conversation. This ATE session will be covering EMC Advanced Snapshots. Among the many areas we will be discussing, our experts will answer your questions in regards to best practices, supported configuration and  any further questions regarding the advantages of using Advanced Snapshots over traditional Snap View.

Your Host:

profile-image-display.jspa?imageID=10191&size=350 Wayne Brain has been a Tech Support Engineer at EMC for the last 30 years. He co-develop midrange platform training for Ed Services and Tech Support. Wayne has helped open and mentor technicians in eight different support centers around the world. He's worked in 14 different countries for EMC on the Fly and Fix team.

This discussion will be take place May 12 - 30.

Share this event on Twitter:

>> Join the next Ask the Expert: Advanced Snapshots on VNX. http://bit.ly/1ijmlhv 5/12 - 5/30 #EMCATE <<

May 12th, 2014 08:00

This discussion is now open for questions. We look forward to a lively and informative event.

Best regards,

Roberto

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

May 12th, 2014 08:00

why is the requirement to convert "thick" pool LUNs to thin LUNs when using VNX Snapshots ? I have Oracle DBs that are not necessarily thin friendly so we have been using "thick" LUNs.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 13th, 2014 04:00

The Thick lun is still classified as a Thick lun but behind the scenes it does convert from direct to indererct in 8KB Blocks when writes come to the Thick snapped lun to align itself with the 8KB granularity of the VNX Snapshot.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 13th, 2014 04:00

Sorry about the spell check.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

May 13th, 2014 06:00

ClariionBrain wrote:

The Thick lun is still classified as a Thick lun but behind the scenes it does convert from direct to indererct in 8KB Blocks when writes come to the Thick snapped lun to align itself with the 8KB granularity of the VNX Snapshot.

I don't understand what you just wrote. Are you saying thin LUNs have specific "characteristics" that are prerequisite for VNX snapshots ?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 13th, 2014 07:00

Only the portions where the write occurs.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

I was referring to the explanation in the VNX Snapshots White Paper.  I have added the link to that document below.  Look at page 9 and page 10 for further details.  I hope this helps.

https://support.emc.com/docu48702_White_Paper:_EMC_VNX_Snapshots.pdf?language=en_US

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

are there cases where you would recommend for someone to use SnapView and not VNX Snapshots ?

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

thanks, does the entire "thick" lun gets converted to "indirect" or only portions of the LUN where writes occur ?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

You must use SnapView if you have Traditional Luns, (Luns in Raid Groups).  I would use VNX snapshots for all other uses since it does not have the 2 write penalty that SnapView has (COFW).

VNX snapshots also allows for more that 8 copies, a limitation that SnapView has.

VNX snapshots also uses mount points instead of having to resize the I/O to see the snap lun like SnapView has to do.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

You are welcome.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

excellent, thank you.

No Events found!