John_F_Kim
1 Nickel

Re: Ask the Expert: All About FLASH.NEXT

Looking through the slides, I am impressed with what EMC announced for the XtremIO Array. Definitely more value-add than "just another generic flash array."  On the XtremSW Cache and XtremSF hardware, I'd like to point out that EMC VMAX can monitor XtremSW Cache when it's accelerating LUNs on the VMAX. Looking forward to seeing more integration between VMAX and the XtremSW and XtremSF products.

0 Kudos
Elad_Horn
1 Copper

John, this is definitely a direction we're following. We will be adding this summer deeper level of integration with both VNX and VMAX platforms, that will include improved management capabilities from the arrays as well as improved performance when coupling XtremSW and XtremSF with an EMC array. Reminding that the Xtrem Server Flash solutions are storage agnostic, and will work well with any array out there. They just have even more functionality with an EMC arrays on the backend.

0 Kudos
John_F_Kim
1 Nickel

Elad, Does XtremSW Cache management software have specific advantages when operating with XtremSF hardware vs. other server-side flash cache cards?  That is, other than the XtremSF hardware being very fast?

0 Kudos
ANolan1
1 Copper

John, XtremSW Cache works only with XtremSF today.  However, with the next release, it will work with any PCIe Flash card.  We are currently looking for beta customers for this use case.

Other than performance advantages, the primary advantage of using XtremSW Cache with XtremSF is that customers have a single vendor to go to for support.

0 Kudos
ANolan1
1 Copper

Hey everyone!  If you want real-time answers to your questions, join us on Twitter this Monday, March 18 from 1pm to 2pm (US Eastern) for a TweetChat - #EMCATE event.  Avishek and I will be taking questions about XtremSF, XtremSW Cache, XtremIO, and other components of the recent FLASH.NEXT announcement.

On Monday, join the conversation with the hashtag #EMCATE or visit http://tweetchat.com/room/EMCATE

For more details, visit this page: https://community.emc.com/events/1892

0 Kudos
RRR
5 Tungsten

it's in my scheduler, but the time is a bit inconvenient for me. So I might be following it on twitter, or not, it all depends whether I'm home on time.

0 Kudos
Mabro1
3 Zinc

Hi all,

Thanks to our experts for a great discussion and to all participants who asked questions. Thew event is now concluded. The experts will shortly out together a summary document of the high points of this discussion which we will attach here. We'll then move this discussion to the Flash Support Forum. While this is being organized , the discussion will be temporarily locked. 

Thanks again to all involved.