kgleeson
2 Iron

Re: Ask the Expert: All about VMAX performance best practices

My question is what tools are you currently using

the latest version of Unisphere can offer some comprehensive data and reports that can show the utilization rates.

it can even give a basic heat Map which give very quick snap shot.

0 Kudos
kgleeson
2 Iron

PRC on SSD pool should be 1%

10% is the recommendation on FC pool and this is where all data should be bound initlially

1% on SATA should be sufficent on the basis there is no app bound to it.

please send any other specific parameters and i will try to give you a best practice .

0 Kudos

Kevin Gleeson wrote:

Fan in and Fan Out ratio is a good principal.

My recommendation would be to look at Utilization rates and queuing rates on the FA's using unisphere performance monitoring tools. Where possible add to the less utilized FA's and you should end up with a very balanced front end on the VMAX thus getting optimum IOPS and response times.

What are acceptable ranges for utilization rates and queueing rates on FAs? If I need to color code things (think vCops heat man) green to red.

0 Kudos
merrist
3 Argentium

Hi,

I want to ask : VMAX performance best practices about VDI

0 Kudos
kgleeson
2 Iron

For VDI it is key to ensure that there is plenty front end processing available so spread onto as many CPU's as you can.

Ensure that Round Robin Settings on the host are set optimally to allow for best possible load balancing. setting round robin to 1 is a good idea.

Do you have specific questions around Disk tiers etc.?

Is the array a FAST VP array with SSDs ?

0 Kudos
kgleeson
2 Iron

Below 65% on FA CPU is optimum. This should manage queuing.

In relation to queuing it is best to avoid medium to high double digit counts on the higher queue ranges.

0 Kudos

How can we determine that my FAST VP Relocation rate should be set to?

0 Kudos

How do we best determine the correct Workload Analysis Period to ensure data is best use of performance tiers?

0 Kudos
kgleeson
2 Iron

Default relocation rate is 5.

This allows for the best use of DAF resources. It balances actual workload and FA VP movements.

It can be changed in certain circumstances but should only be recommended by support/ engineering for specific reason

0 Kudos
kgleeson
2 Iron

Initial workload period should be 24 hours.

The more important 1 is Workload analysis period and this should be set to 7 days or 168 hours. This allows FAST VP to work from 7 days of stats, thus creating a balanced workload profile in order to calculate movements

0 Kudos