Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 17th, 2013 09:00

Ask the Expert: All about what's new with VMAX in Q2 2013.

YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED ON THESE ATE EVENTS...

Ask the Expert: VMAX All Flash – Extreme Performance at Petabyte Scale, and Best Practices

Ask the Expert: VMAX3 New Features, Best Practices, Trouble-Shooting Tips

https://community.emc.com/thread/177118

Learn what’s new with VMAX in Q2 2013

EMC VMAX is the world’s most powerful, trusted, and smart storage, providing over 5-nines availability for mission-critical applications and software-defined data centers   Learn about new features that make VMAX more trusted, faster, and easier to manage in a software-defined storage environment.

This discussion begins on Tuesday, April  30 at 12 pm EST. Get ready by bookmarking this page or signing up for email notifications. The thread will be open and moderated through May 14th.

Your hosts:

Matt_Easter_Ate.jpg

Matty1918

Matt Acord has been in the IT business for 14 years, 9 of those with EMC. Sincehe joined aEMC he has  worked in the PSE lab and was one of the SRDF/A SMEs in the lab and Tech Support. In ESD Matt worked with Tier I partners in configuring their frames, migrating data and keeping them up to date with new EMC technologies. Matt is currently a Senior Corporate Systems Engineer where he focuses on hardware for all the VMAX families and D@RE.

paul+lorusso_90x113.jpg

PaulDLorusso

Paul Lorusso is a principle product manager on the VMAX hardware platform product management team. He has previous design engineering, engineering management, and product and program management experience from Digital Equipment Corporation, Compaq Computer, and Hewlett-Packard. Paul holds a BSME from Northeastern University and an MBA from Babson College.

666 Posts

April 30th, 2013 07:00

Following today's press release, we are delighted to open up this discussion on what's new with VMAX.

We look forward to a fun, collaborative and informative discussion.

Regards,

Mark

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

April 30th, 2013 14:00

so what are you Symm guys are most excited to see in this new version, which of the new features has been the most requested by customers ?

13 Posts

May 1st, 2013 07:00

Matty,

Well said, drive CRU, especially with additional cabinet locater capability will be very useful —also adding IBMi support to VMAX 10K is helpful to open up more opportunity for VMAX to penetrate into more price sensitive markets requiring IBMi host attach.

Regards,

Paul

19 Posts

Matty,

Yes a very exiting feature both labour and cost saving for both customer and EMC, what does the customer do to start the replace procedure.

Is is menu driven click click click replace, does a light come on to show the CAB, DAE and disk?

is there a minimum level of skill that will allow access so limited by access level ?

Lee

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

Hi Dynamox....I'm excited about CRU...Customer Replaceable Unit...which allows the customer to replace failed disk drives in their VMAX arrays. Once a drive has failed and a successful permanent sparing operation has taken place, CRU gives the customer the ability to replace the NR spare drive at their convenience. Since the customer is replacing the drive themselves they don't need to clear EMC staff through security, accompany them to the data center or take data center staff away from other responsibilities.

13 Posts

Lee

The CRU process is a fully scripted process, and indeed works directly with cabinet, DAE, and drive locaters via blinking lights to locate the replacement drive.

Paul

Sent from my iPhone

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 1st, 2013 08:00

Hi Lee

Just to expand on Paul’s answer a bit…Once the customer contacts their account team and decides to participate in the CRU process, an EMC Field Engineer will set a CRU setting on the VMAX. There will also be a training video available to the customer so they can be familiar with the process before they replace their first drive. As Paul stated it’s a fully scripted process that will also generate a printable step by step process along with a diagram of where the replaceable drive is located. The front LED will blink, all of the DAEs will blink, except the DAE with the replaceable drive. In that DAE the replaceable drive will have the amber LED lit while the other good drives will have the green LED lit. Once the drive has been replaced the customer packs up the bad drive in the same box that the new drive shipped in, they put a purple CRU sticker and a Return Way Bill on the box and return the drive to EMC.

Thanks,

Matt

19 Posts

May 1st, 2013 13:00

Matt,

I have worked for another major vendor and the closed loop approach that is a feature that can be enabled is just a really great and unique idea.

The choice is back with the customer and that is a great move.

16 Posts

May 2nd, 2013 13:00

How does one use the new Offline Performance Viewer and what kinds of performance analysis can you do with it?  Can you provide a screenshot?

2.1K Posts

May 3rd, 2013 02:00

Hi Matt,

May I ask if the CRU script support the Muti-Language? thanks

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 3rd, 2013 06:00

Hi Fenglin-

The CRU script is English only as of right now.

Thanks,

Matt

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 3rd, 2013 07:00

Hi John-

Performance Viewer is distributed as a vApp and is designed to be run from a PC. To populate the PV’s database, you import a special backup of the customer’s Performance Analyzer database and local symapi_db.bin file. The backup will contain all of the historical data, any Real time traces and custom dashboards as well as the last 24hours of Diagnostic data. Once imported, you chart the available metrics the same way you would in Performance Analyzer.

From a screenshot perspective it looks just like Performance Analyzer in Unisphere. I don’t have any screenshots that I can provide at the moment.

Thanks,

Matt

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

May 3rd, 2013 08:00

So customer needs to run ECC server and then you import btp files inside of this appliance? Is this appliance free and available to all customers?

Thank you

16 Posts

May 3rd, 2013 12:00

So does FAST VP now work across all SRDF 3-site and 4-site configurations?

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

May 12th, 2013 11:00

Matt,

i got to see Performance Viewer at EMC World (VMAX booth), it's really slick and i think it will allow me to finally decommission EMC ControlCenter that we use for WLA archives. I tried to search for PV on support.emc.com and could not find it, does it also require Unisphere for VMAX 1.6 ? ( that i don't see on under downloads either).

Thanks

No Events found!