Phukon
3 Zinc

Re: Ask the Expert: Creating the 3rd Platform Customer Experience with EMC TCE

Thanks Brad,

I do see a prospect here, being a part of the developing cycle of EMC support app, I suggest if the Survey Option be an added feature in future will work wonders.

0 Kudos
youngp2
2 Iron

Hi Julian,

Hrvoje is right.  We can't request details from you or send secure information over a medium we don't own.  That said we do have the @EMCSupport handle where we can point you to helpful documentation and knowledge base articles.  Also our support Live Chat has a fantastic response time as well.

You can go here for more information on that option:

Using Live Chat

b5b
1 Nickel

I agree with Hrvoje and Paul. As a social media tool, Twitter doesn’t offer the security and privacy that customers demand for issues associated with their data center. On the other hand, it could be very useful for sharing information about issues for open consumption as a knowledgebase.

I attended a seminar last year that included ideas of how Twitter may be used in the future. It was proposed that Twitter could offer a private exchange service to make it useable as a channel for customer service. That idea has yet to come to fruition, however.

0 Kudos
akc5247
2 Bronze

It is surprising to see that only 21% of the customers respond to surveys. Honestly, I have filled in all the surveys I have received from EMC, and I know that my co-workers do the same as well.

In any case, I would like to appreciate the technical support that we get from South Asia (majority of the SRs and issues that I have dealt with so far), as well as Australia - it is always a pleasure to work with technical folks, but with always a "human" element while dealing with Sev 0 /1 issues, which I find is more important that even resolving the issue itself.

Having said all the above, I have a few issues (pet-peeves, rather)

- Can Support Chat can be incorporated in the EMC Support tool for Mobile?

- It would be great if we (customers) can add Site IDs on our own, and re-arrange products and enter Licenses for products in our Sites under EMC Support. When I open a SR, it only takes 2 minutes to enter the actual issue whereas it takes 5 minutes for the background of the issue, viz., Product ID, Site ID, associated products by sites, or by product licenses and then sites. It becomes a hassle and at a certain point, I just cancel the SR creation and call in or send an email to our SAM / TAM on the same.

Can some remediation be done for the above?

Thanks,

AK

0 Kudos
emcpetah
1 Nickel

With respect to support chat being added to the EMC Support app: we looked closely at this when designing the V3 release of the app.  We have had mixed feedback from customers on the subject, and felt that there were some pro's and con's to this.  On the Pro side, clearly chat is a popular way to engage remote support on the web, and would translate well to a smartphone for some transactions.  Similar to text messaging and twitter (both hugely popular applications on mobile devices), short interactions on a smartphone would be an effective way to communicate in the context of an SR.  On the Con side of the argument, the rich text interactions possible from a computer keyboard ("traditional" chat) might be challenging to achieve given the small size of the keyboard on a smartphone.  There was also the idea that sustaining a secure connection from a mobile device for the length of a chat session (often over 30 minutes) might be difficult to maintain in some environments, particularly in data centers.

So for the V3 release, we elected not to include chat, at least not yet.

That said, we believe that when it comes to using Live Chat on a mobile app to engage EMC's support team, the pro's outweigh the con's, and it's something that should be in the roadmap.  And it is, but we have not yet identified the specific release vehicle for the functionality yet. 

I'd be very interested in hearing your opinions, either pro or con.

emcpetah
1 Nickel

I agree that enabling the mobile app as a tool to participate in surveys is a good idea.  Our agile support methodology considers mobile an increasingly valid channel for all aspects of the support experience, and offering the ability to provide survey responses through this channel would likely increase participation and align with people's expectations.  I'll take this back to the design team and see what the technical challenge might be to implement this capability.   As Brad points out, in the meantime it's possible to provide survey feedback via the mobile device's web browser by clicking the link in the survey email.  Not the fully integrated experience that we'd aim for, but it's not a bad intermediate step.

Thanks for the suggestion!

0 Kudos
murphy_shawn
1 Copper

Hello Hrvoje,

IDC has characterized the 3rd platform as the biggest wave and disruption to the tech field in decades. I think its about embracing the new way businesses are run i.e. cloud infrastructures, social & mobile apps, massive amounts of data, etc. EMC is committed to providing a path to the 3rd platform for its customers. When we loook at the EMC Federation you've got Pivotal developing apps specifically for the cloud, VMware has gone beyond virtualizing the just server, and EMC is doing more with Flash storage and software defined storage (ViPR). In my opinion, with these products in mind EMC is very much partcipating in what the 3rd platform will look like for years to come.

Thanks for the question,

Shawn

0 Kudos
akc5247
2 Bronze

Peter

Thank you for the response.

Yes, I would vote for Chat to be incorporated into EMC Support; similar to something like "Lync" - if EMC can incorporate it into the tool, so that if we login, say, while on the bus, and want to open a SR, I would just go Live on chat and type a few (think 140 characters or less) and open a SR - that would save time, and then I can pass it on to another team member and then EMC can pass it on internally as required, but the main base has been set up - so to speak.

I think Chat provides a more 'human' interaction to any part of Support, and apart from being tech leader, one of the main things that EMC has been able to stand on for far long is with the use because of your Support representatives. This would add another dimension to the whole experience.

HTH.

RRR
5 Osmium

Hi there,

although I'm not seeing any problems with the chat myself, I noticed that several colleagues of mine sometimes want to start a chat and they notice the chat isn't initiated at all. The SR is created, but there's no chat. Since it is working for me, I'm quite convinced it's a browser issue. Would it be possible somehow to have a dedicated chat application on your pc/laptop/Macbook to it won't be browser dependent?

Other than that I agree that having 21% of all people actually respond to a survey is rather low, I'd say. Like AK (akc5247) said I almost always fill out these forms, as it can only make things better. 100% is not possible, I'm aware of that, but getting this number doubled somehow by making the survey more appealing would be great, right? Why don't you reward people for filling out these things by giving them, let's say, an ipad or so?

0 Kudos
ble1
6 Indium

I'm surprised to see number being high as 21%   To be more precise, in past few years I have had many survey offers (including those from EMC).  While I take those that I can contribute with my opinion as I find it relevant (like, I'm really really using that) or I just love product service, they all tend to promise couple of questions which autoshapes itself based on answers and it turns out to be almost neverending story at the end.  My issue with such approach is that I take them in my free time so if it says 5 minutes, then I do not want to waste more than 5 minutes.  The fact that I have to plan time for survey is kind of turn down and I have seen myself reacting by simply closing the browser tab with survey as soon as first sign of such autoshaped survey would appear (even though it might not be so bad at all at the end).  And, famous last words, I know I'm not the only one.

0 Kudos