ionthegeek
4 Ruthenium

Re: Ask the Expert: Creating the 3rd Platform Customer Experience with EMC TCE

not when i work with VNX, Isilon, Centera

Huh... I always thought the signature block was standardized across the entire support organization. Anyway, if you're providing feedback I'm sure they'd be happy to provide their manager's contact information.

0 Kudos
RobertoAraujo1
3 Cadmium

Great discussion, everyone! Help us promote this debate. Please, share the following tweet:

Discussing NOW! Ask the Expert: Creating the 3rd Platform Customer Experience with EMC TCE http://bit.ly/1eGfGNZ 4/21 - 5/16 #EMCATE

Thanks!

b5b
1 Nickel

Hi,

I believe this exchange correctly demonstrates that the availability to email a support group’s manager is not a standard EMC practice and should not be viewed as the correct way to communicate to EMC about an SR. If an email is sent to a group manager, EMC has no process to assure that the feedback is acted upon in a manner consistent with our operating practices. All responses to surveys are managed under tight controls to assure that negative feedback is acted upon. In fact, every EMC Manager is measured and goaled to assure a timely response (foll0w-up) to the customer to assure that open issues are satisfactorily handled.

If the feedback is provided in an uncontrolled manner such as an email, EMC loses the ability to manage the process.

Finally, all survey feedback is entered into our CSAT database and analyzed for trends and chronic issues. Again, email feedback is outside of this process.

The best solution is for EMC to develop an “on-demand” survey program. I’ll see if we can accelerate this feature.

Take care,

Brad

Allen_Ward
4 Ruthenium

Thanks for that Brad. Interestingly enough I do look for follow up survey requests when I've had especially good (or bad) support experiences. Sometimes I get the request and sometimes I don't. If I do I absolutely fill out that one. And I'll admit that I'm always impressed with the personal call backs I get from the managers when I provide constructive criticism on something that didn't go well. They are always eager to understand what went wrong and how I thought it should have gone. This definitely makes me feel more valued as a customer.

The ability to do one of these surveys "on demand" immediately following a really good or bad experience would be even more valuable. I think you are on the right track!

alexwolf1
1 Copper

An "on-demand" survey program is a terrific idea Brad. I think the 21% could be greatly impacted if surveys adopted a format like this.

Allen, your take on the response you get to constructive criticism is really what TCE is all about. The feedback provided by customers and users really is appreciated, and I am glad to hear that it is a two way street.

0 Kudos

How are we leveraging big data analytics in TCE? I read In Focus blogs but nothing seems to provide the technical work behind TCE success. It would be nice to know that.

0 Kudos
b5b
1 Nickel

Hi Mercy,

The EMC TCE group is in continued deployment of a Greenplum instance that will merge CRM, survey, and other customer touch point data to enable EMC to better understand and serve our customers. Today, we use a more limited version of big data analytics to evaluate certain touch points during a customer’s journey through EMC. This includes natural language text analytics to mine information from surveys and web sources.

I would say that EMC is on its own journey in leveraging big data and we’re excited where the journey will bring us.

Take care,

Brad

sddc_guy
2 Iron

We will do so !

0 Kudos
b5b
1 Nickel

Last week I attended the B2B Customer Experience Summit hosted by Walker Information. Walker is EMC partner in managing our Voice of the Customer Program. Walker hosted a keynote speech by Shankar Vedamtam, an NPR journalist and author of the book "The Hidden Brain". Shankar's speech talked about how the physiology of our brains control our perceptions, and as a result, our perceived experiences. He provided insight into why we are physiologically satisfied or dissatisfied in our experiences. It was a great lesson for those of us who work in EMC's TCE organization and are responsible for addressing our customer's experiences. Some take-aways that left an impression on me (remember that these are physiological traits of our brain):

1) Our brain is wired to shape our current experiences based upon our past experiences. Hence the saying, "you don't have a second chance to change a first impression".

2) Our brain perceives satisfaction based upon the expectations that are set. Shankar demonstrated that a person will enjoy a $95 of wine more than a $10 bottle of wine even if the contents of the two bottles are exactly the same.

3) Our brain is not motivated by incentives. However, it becomes less satisfied when the incentive is taken away. As a result, incentives have a net negative result in satisfaction.

4) Our brain is comfortable and likes to stick with what it knows. It is more willing to change when its beliefs are challenged, such as times of crisis (poor financial times for businesses).

5) We all must fight our brain's tendency of "psychological entrapment", or it's tendency towards poor judgment when we are emotionally attached to something. This is demonstrated by our willingness to continuing buying a stock even as it plummets in value.

There were many more lessons that he shared. To me, it helped understand how EMC can offer a better experience to our customers....or at least the perception of a better experience as interpreted by our "hidden" brain.

Enjoy the day!

Brad

0 Kudos

Thank you, Brad... very interesting

0 Kudos