EdSteenhoek1
1 Nickel

Re: Ask the Expert: EMC Documentum Connector for Microsoft SharePoint

Depending on the use case, I believe the 'check out to SharePoint' scenario could be an alternative way to edit in SharePoint and avoid UCF...

0 Kudos
RobertoAraujo1
3 Argentium

URL in Tweet points to SAP...

Thanks for flagging that, Ed. It has been fixed.

boon046
1 Nickel

I guess this depends per use case. We would be interested if users can easily archive documents from Office365 to Documentum at end of projects (teamsite).

0 Kudos

Seems like a good business case. Currently not possible with the connector.

It can be done with alternative solutions like a workflow from K2 or a dedicated SharePoint customization that will do this.

Adding the checkin to Documentum to a SharePoint library is a relative simple customization depending on the demand of flexibility needed. Showing the documents in Documentum and viewing the content will be a bigger challenge but we have the base of this solution already available.

0 Kudos
dm_surya
1 Nickel

Hi Ed -- that's a good point.

But from a performance perspective what is preferred ? check-out/check-in to/from SharePoint OR  check-out/check-in to/from client machine?

0 Kudos
EdSteenhoek1
1 Nickel

Hi Surya,

I assume that your looking at the overall business performance and that to me is more than getting the file open in MS Word for editing.

The checkout to SharePoint scenario wins hands down if the work done on the document is not a single user performing a single edit on the document. If the user checks the document out to SharePoint a whole collaborative environment is availble to edit the document simultanously and in multiple itterations with more users (contributors, peer reviewers, approvers, etc.). Checkin is then done once that collaboration has finished. Formal reviews afterwords in Documentum could turn out to be formalities (because approvers are already involved in the collaboration).

If however it's just me making the edit, checkout to SharePoint is more clicks and a - in that case more or less - useless extra step. It takes more time and I as a business user don't get any added value in return.

Bottom line, it is the business users use case that decides what's best.

Hello experts,

I have seen that 7.1 release is including some D2 features (D2 browser webparts), and for example (according to 7.1 content management guide for the connector) if you have a D2 autolink configuration the document you've been created will fall into the right place.

--> Is security and autonaming also applied from the D2 configuration ?

--> Is the D2 configuration also active for properties editing and checkin using this D2 webpart ?

Thank you !

0 Kudos
dm_surya
1 Nickel

Hi Ed,

Thanks for the reply.

Wouldn't checkout to SharePoint by-pass the Documentum Security model, once the document is available on a SharePoint Library all the SP users (of-course for the site-collection/site) will get access to the content. Unless we can have different Check-out libraries for different business units (mimic access similar to Documentum at the library level) I am not sure if this possible, and the users select the appropriate Document library when they check-out.

Thanks,

Surya

0 Kudos
dm_surya
1 Nickel

Hi Experts,

Are there plans to enhance upload feature so that we could upload folder structures, currently the upload feature only allows files to be selected for upload?

Thanks,

Surya

0 Kudos
dm_surya
1 Nickel

Another one for today

Is there a performance benchmark available for DC4SP 7.1?

0 Kudos